3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram: How Do I Program Keyless Remote?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:38 PM
crtfour
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ram: How Do I Program Keyless Remote?

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2005 ram in which the remote was lost. Also there is no owners manual to tell me how to do it. I bought a used remote and was told that I could program it to the truck. I've done this with a Dodge passenger car before but can't remember how it was done. Do you have a link to any instructions? Thank you!

Rob

Old 04-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Alpheus
Banned

You have to have at least one remote that works with your truck to program another one. If you have none you must go to the DEALER. Some are cool and dont charge and some charge an hour labor...

Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Docwhitley
Rookie
Default This worked on am 04

1) Turn ignition to OFF.
2) Locate the Data Link Connector, its a black 16 pin connecter that is under the driver's side dash, right where your right knee would be.
3) Ground pin 1 of the Data Link Connector by taking a wire or paper clip and running it from pin 1 to pin 4. Pin 4 is ground so you can just short pin 1 to 4 and it will be grounded. Grounding pin 1 tells the system you are ready to reprogram it.
4) Close all of your doors.
5) Turn the key to ACC then back off. The door locks will lock/unlock. This is the signal that the system is ready for reprogramming.
6) Push a button on your remote, doesn't matter which button.
7) If you have 2 remotes, then press a button on the 2nd remote within 1 minute of pressing a button on the 1st remotes. Both must be programmed at the same time. If you only have 1 remote then press a button 2 more times to signal that you only have one.
8) The doors will lock/unlock to signal the codes were received.
9) Remove the jumper wire from the data connector.

Good luck... I think I got everything

Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Docwhitley
Rookie

Just got off the phone and he said to try this first

1. press lock button 5 times at 2 second intervals.

2. turn ignition to run position and allow chimes to stop.

3. using the remote press unlock for 4 to 10 seconds.

4. while still pressing unlock press panic button for 1 second and then release both buttons, a chime will sound and that will mean that it was successful and allow 3 seconds for chime to stop.

5. press lock and unlock at same time for 1 second and chime will sound off.

6. press any button on the remote and a chime will sound if the programming was done correctly

Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 PM
crtfour

Hey Doc,

Thanks for the reply. The second method that you mentioned did not seem to do the trick. However, now that you mention it, I have done this before by using the data link connector, but the numbers on this truck are so small, I just can't see which ones would be 1 and 4. What color wires am I looking for? I assume one is the black and white one for the ground? Thanks.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Alpheus
Banned
Angry

Originally Posted by Docwhitley
1) Turn ignition to OFF.
2) Locate the Data Link Connector, its a black 16 pin connecter that is under the driver's side dash, right where your right knee would be.
3) Ground pin 1 of the Data Link Connector by taking a wire or paper clip and running it from pin 1 to pin 4. Pin 4 is ground so you can just short pin 1 to 4 and it will be grounded. Grounding pin 1 tells the system you are ready to reprogram it.
4) Close all of your doors.
5) Turn the key to ACC then back off. The door locks will lock/unlock. This is the signal that the system is ready for reprogramming.
6) Push a button on your remote, doesn't matter which button.
7) If you have 2 remotes, then press a button on the 2nd remote within 1 minute of pressing a button on the 1st remotes. Both must be programmed at the same time. If you only have 1 remote then press a button 2 more times to signal that you only have one.
8) The doors will lock/unlock to signal the codes were received.
9) Remove the jumper wire from the data connector.

Good luck... I think I got everything
What the filth!!! I searched and searched for a way to program my new FOB and could not find anything but that it had to go to the dealer. They charged me 50 bucks for that? You live and you learn I guess...

Old 04-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Kebo
Professional

Originally Posted by Alpheus
What the filth!!! I searched and searched for a way to program my new FOB and could not find anything but that it had to go to the dealer. They charged me 50 bucks for that? You live and you learn I guess...

If you have an owners manual.....it is in there. That is where I got the instructions from.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Docwhitley
Rookie

I can not remember what the color codes are but I will call my friend who is still at the dealership and see if he can refresh my memory. I use to keep a book that had how to do it for all the different makes and models. Most you had to ground out one of the sensors if your wanted it to program both remotes, but you just had to push buttons if you had one remote. When I left my last dealership I sold the book to a service advisor for $500. Now I wish I would have made a copy of everything.... OH Well

Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
highflyer
Default Wow Awsome

The data link conector thing worked like a charm. Purchased a 2000 Ram Van 1500 with no remotes. Did the data link thing and it worked like a charm. Awsome, you just saved me some major bucks!!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:53 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kebo
If you have an owners manual.....it is in there. That is where I got the instructions from.
Bingo

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram: How Do I Program Keyless Remote?