1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Clicking noise at 35-45 mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clicking noise at 35-45 mph

Okay, I know this subject came up a few times in this forum way way back. I searched and searched and cannot find the thread.

The clicking noise seems to appear under the truck somewhere. The noise appears when you reach 35 mph and the clicking will change with speed. After getting up past 40, I cannot hear if the clicking is there due to wind noise.

I do know if I drop below 35 clicking noise is goes away.

So please chime away if any senior users remember this issue! It's driving me nuts now that I can drive my truck with my windows down on a glorious cool week in DFW.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:15 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds to me like you have a loose chain in the t-case, does being in/out of 4x4 make any difference?

forgot you have awd, but does changing modes made any difference?

Last edited by shrpshtr325; 11-13-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Kensai
Champion

nope. It's a clicking clicks faster with change in speed. I thought it may be the transfer case so I changed mode to 4hi and then back to norm and no change. clicks on both modes. So I thought it may be something clicking on the driveline? u-joint maybe? The clicking is not very loud, I recently noticed this when I started driving the truck with the windows down. Otherwise, I would never have been aware of the clicking noise as you cannot hear it in the cabin. I may have the brake pads and drums inspected. dunno where else to look atm.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Pwall
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it click when going around a trun

Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you checked your tires for a nail in one of them?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Kensai
Champion

It does not click when you make turns if you think it is a ball joint issue.

Hydra,

come on! if there is a nail or rock or anything stuck on the tire, you would think it would click at any speed as long as the tire is rolling!

But I won't hold back that possibility. Already check all 4 tires and nothing.

I drove the truck for a few blocks below 30mph and cannot hear anything. Once I hit 35mph, I can hear the clicking noise.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Could also be a wheel bearing going out.

My wifes car (2004 Ford Taurus) is doing that very thing right now and I pulled it apart now it has gottin worse and the rear wheel bearing is loose and going out. It has the same hub like ours (on the front) only no drive shaft. It was scheduled to be here today but failed to show up.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

So I replaced the bearing hub on the Taurus and it's still making the same clicking/slightly growl noise. So I took the other side off and replaced it with the one I had taken off from the passenger side. Well still the same ****......

I do see a place where a nail has entered the tire and broke off. I knew there was a VERY slight leak and have stopped a few times but the shop was busy. I'm thinking possibly that the nail (even though warn/broke off) might be inside the tire and some how it is resignating? The funny thing is there is nothing else but those bearings on the rear.....At a loss!

Takin the car to the tire shop today for a fix and re-balance and going to have them cross rotate the tires.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its worse when the D is cold and is coming from the engine then its likely to be an exhaust manifold blowing - please see all my previous posts on this subject

Chris

Old 11-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, hydra may be onto something, Kensai. A while back, I and my family went to a relative's house and I kept hearing this clicking noise going to and coming back from there. We get home and I noticed a screw imbedded into the tire. I guess I got lucky cause when I parked at the relative's house, the screw was probably sitting directly on the ground cause there was no air loss the whole night until I looked closer at the tire. Luckily, I caught the problem in time and brought the D to a 24 hour tire shop ( I love NYC for this! ) Got the tire fixed and off I went. Oh yeah, it was 1AM in the morning.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise at 35-45 mph