3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2004 Dodge Ram aftermarket Stereo issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:10 PM
ihornsby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Ram aftermarket Stereo issues

Hello,
I have a 04 Ram 1500 with the 7 Speaker Infinity system. I am installing a JVC KD-R820BT with Metra CHTO-02 interface. My issues are, Theres Power to the HU all the time, with or with out the ignition on. Also i have NO sound. I called Tech support and tech suggest I cut the red wire on the 1st harness from the truck adapter to the Metra CHTO-02. that did nothing. He then suggested I contact Metra support. All that tech said was to disconnect the Neg battery cable and leave off 15 mins and the do the 2 key turns. That also did nothing. I contacted crutchfield support again today, the tech didnt know much about this setup. He said that he thought the Metra CHTO-02 was defective and is shipping me another one. I hope this fixes the issue. as anyone else seen this when installing a after market HU in a Ram with infinity system.

Thx

Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Harrison0550
Amateur

I can't say I've had the same issue but I can say I have had that Infiniti system in my last dodge and I also ordered my head unit from crutchfield. That being said it may very well be a problem with the head unit as I've never had any issues with crutchfield. They test everything before they send you those diagrams so it's probably a faulty unit.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:32 PM
theice
Professional

sounds to me the no sound problem is you connected the wrong blue wire if you have more than one blue wire which is the remote power on and another blue wire connect it to the other wire. and as for constant power sounds like you hooked it up to the constant power which keeps the clock memory try reversing the yellow and red wires hope this helps

Old 09-10-2011, 06:58 PM
ihornsby

Originally Posted by theice
sounds to me the no sound problem is you connected the wrong blue wire if you have more than one blue wire which is the remote power on and another blue wire connect it to the other wire. and as for constant power sounds like you hooked it up to the constant power which keeps the clock memory try reversing the yellow and red wires hope this helps
I followed the wiring instructions to a T for the interface module along with the wire legend for the JVC unit. The 2 crutchfield techs where super nice but not very knowledgable about the Dodge infinity system & the metra interface box I'm using. The last test thought that it may be a bad metra interface box. I'm thinking maybe the wiring instructions are incorrect. Maybe ill get lucky and lt will be a bad interface

Old 09-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Harrison0550
Amateur

Honestly I have never used one of those metra interface boxes before and it looks like there are even people in the crutchfield forums that have had problems with them. Even though a few sites have it listed as being for both the ram/pacifica, the actual PDF for the device says it's only for the 2005 ram. However crutchfields site says it works with the 04 and 05. Did you see the review that said there are 2 different kinds of these units?

"CHTO-02 INTERFACE
Written By , NORTHERN, CAL on Tuesday, April 14, 2009

BEWARE, THERE ARE TWO VERSIONS OF THIS INTERFACE. THE FIRST ONE I RECIEVED IS NOT WHAT YOU SEE IN THE PHOTO. IT WAS A BLACK BOX W/THE SAME WIRING YOU SEE IN THE PIC. THE FIRST INTERFACE (NOT PICTURED) GAVE MY HEAD UNIT CONSTANT POWER AND DOOR CHIME WITH NO SOUND. AFTER CONSULTING WITH CRUTCHFIELD (AWSOME SERVICE) THEY SENT ME A NEW INTERFACE OVERNIGHT. THE SECOND INTERFACE I RECIEVED IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU SEE PICTURED. I NOW HAVE NO CONSTANT POWER, NO CONSTANT DOOR CHIME, EUREKA EVEN SOUND. THIS WAS A VERY SIMPLE INSTALL, WITH CRITCHFIELD ASSISTANCE YOU SHOULD HAVE NO ISSUES. MY KENWOOD KVT 514 DOES NOT SOUND AS CLEAN AS THE FACTORY UNIT DID WITH THE FACTORY INFINITY AMP, IT'S DECENT. "

Might be your issue. I'm curious though do you really need it? Granted the last truck I owned with the infinity system in it was a 98 model I think but I just spliced the speakers directly into the infinity amp and called it a day. I'm not seeing what you gain from this thing other than park/reverse mute or door chimes. Is that really worth $150 or could you just wire the HU directly to the amp?

Edit: scratch what I just said. Looks like there are 2 different setups for the 04 infinity system with different features. In a nut shell from what I read you have to look at your amp located behind the glove box and see if there is a green wire in the #13 pin. If there is then yours is the simple one and you can wire the remote antenna wire to it to kick on the amp for the sound. If there is no green wire then you have to have one of those control boxes to kick the amp on and your back at square one and probably have the wrong one. Good luck. Either way crutchfield will make it right.

Last edited by Harrison0550; 09-10-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22 PM
ihornsby

Originally Posted by Harrison0550

Might be your issue. I'm curious though do you really need it? Granted the last truck I owned with the infinity system in it was a 98 model I think but I just spliced the speakers directly into the infinity amp and called it a day. I'm not seeing what you gain from this thing other than park/reverse mute or door chimes. Is that really worth $150 or could you just wire the HU directly to the amp?
Sorry so long but I'm curious myself as I just bought a 2004 2500 and will be swapping the head unit very soon and ordering from crutchfield. Let me know how it turns out.
I'm not sure either. I got it for 79.00 with the purchase of the JVC. I know from what I've read is that the infinity has a factory "Amp" that has to be power up. The metra is supposed to this?? Do they just sell a Dodge Ram harness adapter to just wire to the Stereo? I'm clueless. It's been 20 years since I installed a Car stereo. Lol.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:43 PM
ihornsby

Well I went to walmart and picked up a 9.99 harness adapter and hard wired it. There was also a blue/white wire for the "amp" that i wired. Now I don't have the power on issue as before but still no sound. So I took a 6x9 speaker and just wired it in to the JVC. Worked perfect. Soooo I guess the Metra CHTO-02 I received from crutch field was bad. I guess that's what will allow my speakers to work with my aftermarket unit. They are shipping a replacement to me. If that doesn't work I guess my next step is to rewire all my speakers bypassing my factory infinity amp, which I don't want to do.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:21 PM
kramer04hemi
Amateur

I actually have a 2004 dodge ram, with the infinity system, and i did not want to bypass the factory amp, so i orded a harness of ebay that was not correct due to there being a data port that triggers the system to work. I installed a Kenwood doubledin in my truck and needed to get a special harness for everything to work, it was actually made by pac audio. If you want i can see if i can dig up a part number for you, but it was about 150 bucks but everything works perfectly

Last edited by kramer04hemi; 09-18-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 09-18-2011, 11:34 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The system's harness isn't anything special, at least on my 03 it wasn't. A standard Dodge harness allowed me to provide signal to the factory amp with the head unit's speaker wires. I have a separate sub amp and the headunit has a built-in crossover on all outputs so the sound is actually pretty good.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM
ihornsby

Well the replacement harness worked. I now have sound. I looked at replacing my factory door speakers. Looks like I will have to bypass the factory infinity amp, cause if I dont only base will be channeled to them. Is this correct? Thx for all the replies guys.

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Ram aftermarket Stereo issues