2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

231D transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 231D transfer case

i am having some problems with power in my truck. I think part of the problem may be with the transfer case. for one it leeks through a small chip missing. the fluid is always dark like oil. the transfer case itself is dirty with old fluid stains when i turn corners too sharp it jutters jumps skips bucks (sorry for my description) i drained the fluid and put new atf4 and when i turned the corner it whent to jutter yet stoped right away and you could almost feel the chain slip on the new fluid and turn the corner smoothly. its back to the light bucking again around corners. its actually leaking from two spots the first is the front by the tranny where the circular cover goes to the transfer case just below a screw a chip is missing, the other is the back side where the two pieces of transfer case bolt together you can see seal than no seal than seal again so my guess is the seal is shot so i need a new one. what i want to do is remove the transfer case and put a new one or fix the one i have however my transfer case tag say its a 231D i cant seem to find one also i heard the 231D was for diesel engines my truck is a 98 dodge ram sport with a v8 magnum. what would i be able to use for a transfer case??? right now i cant give you much info about my 4 wheel drive and if theres other problem with the transfer case because my 4 wheel is out of commision until i get an axle housing and half shaft replaced. any advice would help thank you

Old 10-27-2011, 09:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Can't seem to find one? They came in ALL the half ton dodge trucks. "D" is for Dodge. If you can find a 231DHD, that would be good.

You may have the typical missing snap-ring on the output shaft problem. That can lead to complete T-case failure. (in a rather spectacular fashion....) Drop the rear drive shaft, pull the extension housing off the back of the t-case, and see if the snap ring is gone.

You aren't driving on hard surfaces in four wheel drive are you? That's a good way to break things......

Old 10-27-2011, 10:06 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran

haha when i first got the truck i was i didnt know any better however my 4wheel drive is out of commision because i need to replace my axle housing and half axle shaft. every time i google 231d i always end up with 231dhd or 231hd never just D. also do you know if a screwed up transfer case would hinder gaining speed or is that just a faulty tranny?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Depends on how bad it is screwed up. If they are bad enough, things get out of place, and start chewing themselves to pieces. Never a good scene.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:38 AM
BigBlue83
Veteran

the reason i asked about the gaining of speed is because in my truck i can gain speed ok if i sloooowly accelerate on the gas the tranny shifts into gears fine and my speedometer will raise, however if i put any type of hard quick pressure the rpms go up and either come back down or stay around three k but the speedometer doesnt budge or just crawls to a faster speed. for instance when trying to pass a car on the highway i cant unless i slowly gain the speed to do so. its like only the first couple inches of my gas peddle actually work.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

When was the last time you changed fluid/filter? Might wanna drop the pan, and see if you find anything interesting in there. Would be a good time for a band adjustment, and clean the governor pressure sensor and solenoid as well.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Where would I or I would I know k.ow where the solenoid and governer r and how would I clean them... Thank for your help by the way... Ive changed the filter last month and thats how I got it to this stage of being alright one thing I wanna do is my plenum and find a pressure gauge to check my cat

Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 PM
dlyter09
Champion

There is a DIY writeup on in the FAQ section

Old 07-15-2018, 05:48 PM
Gregory Don
Default Interchangeable

Ok so I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 lariat SLT and the transfer case literally exploded and I was curious I have a lead on a 96 and another 97 transfer case and I was wondering are they interchangeable if they come off like mine is a 5.9 magnum and they both come out of another 5.9 magnum so yeah are they interchangeable does anyone know

Old 07-15-2018, 05:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You really need one from a 98 or newer truck. Shift pattern, and shifter mounting changed in 98......

Quick Reply: 231D transfer case