4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Hemi Tick vs Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:35 AM
SeanTG84
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Tick vs Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt

Hey guys, I just started getting a ticking sound on my passenger side and it seems to happen for a few minutes after a cold start up, eventually going away. Before yesterday, my truck seemed to run nice and quiet, this is the first time I've heard it. Just wondering how do I know its the Hemi tick vs a broken exhaust manifold bolt?

My truck is an 2010 Ram 1500 SLT with the 5.7, 81k on the odo. I also run Mobil 1 full synthetic on it, but its due for an oil change shortly and I plan on going back with Mobil 1 and a Mopar oil filter.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhaust leak is fairly loud and goes away as the engine warms up. Start it up in your garage with your windows open or get out and stand by the front right after you start it. You'll see how load. It also shows up suddenly when the bolt(s) break. This is your issue. Run it to the dealer and they'll verify it. For a 2010 it should be covered under the powertrain warranty at 81K miles.

Rob

Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM
SeanTG84
Rookie

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
Exhaust leak is fairly loud and goes away as the engine warms up. Start it up in your garage with your windows open or get out and stand by the front right after you start it. You'll see how load. It also shows up suddenly when the bolt(s) break. This is your issue. Run it to the dealer and they'll verify it. For a 2010 it should be covered under the powertrain warranty at 81K miles.

Rob
I would say that's probably what I have then... The sound I have is fairly loud as I noticed it when I was parked/driving by other cars and it only lasts for about 5 minutes after starting.

Thanks for the help. I'll see if I can sneak it in today.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 AM
SeanTG84
Rookie

Well ended up being the exhaust manifold bolts... guess a couple were shot. Luckily it was covered under the 100k warranty...

Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 AM
jaflowers
Professional

I've had mine done twice for the bolts and I guess I just don't "get it". Why are "we" having this issue?? Would having grade 8 bolts put in destroy something?? Why can't Dodge seem to get a quality bolt replacement??

This is probably the only complaint I have on our trucks and I don't let it get to me due to the lifetime warranty but damn, this can't be that tough to solve.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:06 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

It has got to be a quality of parts issue. Heck, the 5.7L Hemi has been around in this form since at least the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee (maybe even earlier in Rams) and they didn't have exhaust bolt breakage problems.

Rob

Old 08-21-2013, 01:41 PM
rdculus
Veteran

I had mine fixed a month or so ago, I think they only replaced the studs that were broken, if my warranty expires is there any additional coverage for the new studs that were replaced?
If they fail again will it be at my expense?
do they replace with upgraded studs? if not, wouldn't failure be expected in the future?

Old 08-21-2013, 02:52 PM
jaflowers
Professional

I hope DodgeCares might respont to this thread. I'm real curious about this issue. I'd heard initially in 09 that the bolts were too short and were breaking so they were replace with longer ones.
Do the bolts screw into steel or aluminium?
Are they too short??
Are they cheap metal??
Can a high grade steel bolt be used as a replacement??

Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM
SeanTG84
Rookie

Originally Posted by jaflowers
I hope DodgeCares might respont to this thread. I'm real curious about this issue. I'd heard initially in 09 that the bolts were too short and were breaking so they were replace with longer ones.
Do the bolts screw into steel or aluminium?
Are they too short??
Are they cheap metal??
Can a high grade steel bolt be used as a replacement??
I'm with Jaflowers, I would really like to hear what is causing this issue. Yes, I am in warranty now so its more of an inconvenience than anything, but now I'm concerned that this issue with return right...and after my 100k warranty is up. Are replacement bolts better? Why hasn't this been made into a recall? Pretty disappointing the see this happening to $30k - $40k trucks...

Although this issue blows, absolutely love the truck. And the dealer I just took it to in Roseville, MN, I thought handled it really well. They got my truck in without an appointment and got it repaired in a day. I also asked them to fix a headlight issue I was having. They fixed the bolts no questions asked and the headlight ended up being $220 for parts and labor. I'll be picking it up today.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

If I had to guess, I'd say the heat cycle characteristics of the heads, manifold, and bolts are not adequately paired. The bolts probably fatigue after many heat cycles and break. You'd think this could be solved pretty easily with different bolts but, as noted, only broken bolts get replaced, so the issue persists.

Rob

Quick Reply: Hemi Tick vs Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt