4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

"wrong key fob" error

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:52 PM
BLACKDOG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "wrong key fob" error

I have a new 2013 Ram 1500. I do not have power locks or windows and therefore no key fob. I have a regular key that has electronics inside I assume. Now for the second time I am stranded because the key will not work. I get the error "wrong key fob". The first time it happened the dealer fixed it. That was about 6 weeks ago. Today it happened again. My spare key works for now. Has anyone had a similar problem.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:29 PM
dane5556

Hi, I have a 2013 Ram 1500 also. I do have the key fob along with electric windows and locks. I have the same problem though. The fob worked fine for 6 months and I jumped in the truck to go to work on Monday and it wouldn't do anything. The lock and unlock features along with the remote start features on the fob still work ok, but I get the same error message you do. The wrong key fob. Luckily it happened at home and I had the other set and the truck started. I plan on going to the dealer this week and will share what I come up with.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:07 PM
BLACKDOG

Thanks for the reply. The first time I took it to the dealer they reprogrammed the key. I will take it back again this week. I am just frustrated at this point because I bought this new truck for reliability after having issues with my 2004 Ram.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:37 PM
dane5556

That was my thought also, buy something new and not have the problems. I did hear on the radio that the 2014 Rams were having programming issues but they never said what they were. Perhaps it's in the 2013,s too.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:38 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hoping to see that chrysler got rid of the old mercede`s key fobs, they`re junk...PERIOD. Mine quit working a couple times, i installed a new battery in it, its been fine ever since. My truck is a 2010, power everything... BUT, your issue may be different than mine was. All i`m saying is, at least try a new battery first. Also, the electrical battery tabs inside are inferior. I had to bend mine a little to make a better connection. I also used a pencil eraser and cleaned the battery electrical tabs too, at the battery contact points.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:57 AM
BLACKDOG

This key looks like a regular key. There are no buttons and no battery. I think it has a sensor inside that has something to do with the anti-theft system. It cannot be taken apart.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dane5556
Hi, I have a 2013 Ram 1500 also. I do have the key fob along with electric windows and locks. I have the same problem though. The fob worked fine for 6 months and I jumped in the truck to go to work on Monday and it wouldn't do anything. The lock and unlock features along with the remote start features on the fob still work ok, but I get the same error message you do. The wrong key fob. Luckily it happened at home and I had the other set and the truck started. I plan on going to the dealer this week and will share what I come up with.
Dane5556,

Sorry to hear about your current concerns with your key fob. Please let me know how it goes at the dealer. If you would like additional assistance or have any inquiries please PM me and I'd be happy to help.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKDOG
they reprogrammed the key.
That does nothing.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:19 PM
BLACKDOG

Originally Posted by TNtech
That does nothing.
Ok, I talked to the service manager today and he said they "replaced" the key. I don't know for sure if the current bad key was the one they replaced or my spare that was working at that time. I will mark the keys this time when I take it back to the dealer Friday.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:39 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKDOG
I don't know for sure if the current bad key was the one they replaced
Uh oh, yeah they may have both been from the same dud batch.

Quick Reply: "wrong key fob" error