2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission leaks

Old 05-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Wile C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission leaks

question. i have a 98 ram 5.9 that i bought new back in october 97. i have yet to have mopar put on a transmission gasket that won't leak. i thought one of the techs told me a long time ago that they have them. i change mine every 3 years as the truck is a weekend vehicle. i have zero transmission problems as far as mechanical and it's pert near 17 years old. i rarely use the o/d which is probably why....what moron designs a 4th gear to kick in at 28 mph? Mine gets switched on when I'm on the highway. Anyhow I guess we all have our issues with mopar transmissions..mine is very minor.

so, does anyone know if there's a no leak gasket that works?

thanks

Old 05-23-2014, 04:30 PM
jpsycoboy5
Professional

Check your pan its common if the bolts get over torqued it dimples around the bolt holes and will leak. I pounded mine out and applied black rtv to the gasket and torqued the pan to specs no leaks for over 6 months now. A torque sequence of increasing pressure to prevent crushing/pushing the gasket. Torque to 6 lbs, then 9 lbs, then 12 lbs. Start in the middle and work your way around in a circle from the middle bolts work your way out word.

Last edited by jpsycoboy5; 05-23-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Shouldn't be hitting 4th at 28 MPH either. Shouldn't see O/D, or TCC engage until about 45....

Old 01-15-2018, 08:15 PM
dougw
Default ideal issues

I have a 2001 dodge ram. My son was driving in and it lost power and didn't want to stay running. I towed it home and found a lowed hissing noise coming out of the carb . I took the air cleaner of and it was sucking air really bad. I changed the sensor on the back of the carb but it continued to do the same thing. A buddy of mine said it was the plenum gasket. So i ripped it apart and replaced it and put it all back together and it still does the same thing........ Any help would be great......

Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 PM
chevelle68
Rookie

Wile C, we have owned our '01 since new as well and never had any leaks whatsoever (except failure leaks for which a part was replaced to stop the leak). it has 165k. i turn off the OD unless i get on the highway. we have always taken it to a shop to get the tranny fluid/filter services. two years ago i did it myself and what i found was a thick, like 1/4 inch, hard plastic type gasket on. i cleaned it, lubed it and put it back on. torqued the bolts and as always no leaks. i don't believe it was original equipment so someone must have put that gasket on during a previous service. i have used the cork and the thin rubber type (not a fan of) as well without any issues. no RTV and always torque the bolts,

Old 01-17-2018, 02:00 PM
jlake4130
Professional

like mentioned above the pan bolt holes and pan lip get deformed from over tightening. Put the pan face down on a hard flat surface and light hammer back to shape. A straight edge on the pan sealing surface is a good indicator of what need hammered out.
This is the gasket and filter i get and never had a leak when torqued to spec.
https://www.cascadetransmissionparts...terkitw98.aspx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission leaks