Dodge Journey Dodge Journey forum for discussion on the popular Dodge Crossover and CUV.

Dead battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:50 PM
Felix Decat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Dead battery issue

My 2012 Journey SXT battery keeps dying. Had the car for 3 months and have already changed the battery already. Took it in to the dealership just last week and they could not find any problems after pay $140 and waiting 4 hours for diagnostic. I have tried everything by turning off all the gadgets and but still no luck. Have had 6 boost at least in 1 month and am getting feed up with the issue especially with my wife and kids having to use the car. The dodge dealer want do nothing since they can find a problem after the diagnostic.
Have anyone else experience this issue and found a solution. I really need help.

thanks

The following users liked this post:
phactreerat (03-03-2021)
Old 01-28-2015, 09:01 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix Decat
My 2012 Journey SXT battery keeps dying. Had the car for 3 months and have already changed the battery already. Took it in to the dealership just last week and they could not find any problems after pay $140 and waiting 4 hours for diagnostic. I have tried everything by turning off all the gadgets and but still no luck. Have had 6 boost at least in 1 month and am getting feed up with the issue especially with my wife and kids having to use the car. The dodge dealer want do nothing since they can find a problem after the diagnostic.
Have anyone else experience this issue and found a solution. I really need help.

thanks
Felix Decat,

I'm sorry to learn about your battery and starting concern. Have you noticed any trends when the issue occurs? Does it happen after Journey has been sitting over night or for an extended period of time? Has it happened after a short period of inactivity? Has the same symptom occurred with both batteries?

Old 01-28-2015, 02:48 PM
bigtsr
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may sound stupid but there have been posts with similar
problems in the past.
1.Check that all interior lights are turned off after leaving car.
some people use the led map lights then don't push again to off.
2.Glove box light switch not actuating properly leaving light in on condition.
3.Don't leave your key fob too close to DJ when not in use as it keeps the
BCM(body control module) alive and this too can have an effect on battery.
4.Have the standby battery current measured to see how much it's drawing.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Felix Decat

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
Felix Decat,

I'm sorry to learn about your battery and starting concern. Have you noticed any trends when the issue occurs? Does it happen after Journey has been sitting over night or for an extended period of time? Has it happened after a short period of inactivity? Has the same symptom occurred with both batteries?

Yea this problem happens after the Journey has been sitting over night but never happen after a short period of inactivity. I drive everyday to work and after boosting it drives okay with no problem for some days and then the battery drain issue. the same problem occurred with both batteries.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Felix Decat

Originally Posted by bigtsr
This may sound stupid but there have been posts with similar
problems in the past.
1.Check that all interior lights are turned off after leaving car.
some people use the led map lights then don't push again to off.
2.Glove box light switch not actuating properly leaving light in on condition.
3.Don't leave your key fob too close to DJ when not in use as it keeps the
BCM(body control module) alive and this too can have an effect on battery.
4.Have the standby battery current measured to see how much it's drawing.

I checked all the internal lighting myself and could not see any of the interior lights on and even turned off all the lighting functions. about the glove box light switch I do not know if there is a switch for that. I leave in an apartment and the car is parked in the basement so I do not think the fob is the issue. I took it to the dealership to test he battery and voltage and everything checks out as per the report they gave me.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:12 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix Decat
Yea this problem happens after the Journey has been sitting over night but never happen after a short period of inactivity. I drive everyday to work and after boosting it drives okay with no problem for some days and then the battery drain issue. the same problem occurred with both batteries.
Felix Decat,

Pinpointing what is directly responsible for the ongoing battery drain will require further diagnosis. I would recommend speaking with the Service Manager directly.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:12 PM
djbucky3
Captain

I recommend taking it to a real shop and not the dealer. Theres a reason that dealerships are commonly referred to as "stealerships". No offense to DodgeCACares, as y'all seem to be actually genuinely helpful!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:52 AM
joemel
Amateur

Felix, sounds like we are experiencing a similar issue.... see my "starting issue"

Old 01-31-2015, 09:30 AM
Journey_SeXT

2011's had this issue and the TSB was to reprogram the BCM. The no start, or drained battery, was due to the BCM keeping the vehicle communication bus awake.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:34 PM
PDX _Dude

You are not the only one with this issue. I have a dead battery again - this is the third time in one year, and new batteries installed each time. Last time they implied it was my fault since I changed it myself the previous time - which is no easy feat since the geniuses who designed it decided to put the battery in the wheel well so you have to be a contortionist to get to it. I'm beyond frustrated and my Dodge dealer has been of no help either. Not looking forward to dealing with them again. They had the car for 4 days last time - four days to change a battery? Obviously I'm done with Chrysler products going forward.

Quick Reply: Dead battery issue