2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding interior lights and other 'newbie' questions

Old 06-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Rojosail
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Adding interior lights and other 'newbie' questions

Greetings to all, and thanks for a very informative forum. I am a new owner of a 2nd Gen Dodge Ram and probably have some very old questions that I am hoping you can help with. ( I did search the forum before I asked though).

1.) I would like to add some additional interior lights including some under the dash to light the footwells and maybe in/under the door to light the entry. My question here is - Where is the best place to pull power from? Of course I would like this controlled by the roller switch in the headlamp assembly to be able to turn them off/on as needed and expect them to be controlled by the door sense as well.

2.) Power for other devices, lighting, etc. inside the vehicle - Is there a common place most folks pull power from under the dash for for other accessory items or is it best to feed back to the power distribution block under the hood? Looking for both options, Constant power and switched.

3.) and my stupidest question yet, but man am I confused... What kind of truck do I have? I know, but I hear all sorts of names for it, (club cab, crew cab, extended cab) yet when I go to some place for instance JCWHITNEY, they ask "Base/Laramie/Sport/ST/WS"! I don't even know what a ST or WS might be.
I have a 2000 Ram with a backseat and the back doors that swing backwards once the front door is open. (I believe you can fit a munchkin back there as long as they have toothpicks for legs.) Other than that it is a very base model vehicle with no power door locks or windows. It was an old Police Vehicle for the Conservation Police. Any help on identifying would be great!

Thanks in advance for the help and all the help I have read in the forums in the past without posting. Great community!

Last edited by Rojosail; 06-01-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Use a relay to control any additional lights controlled off the dome lamp circuit. Run it's own power wire (with a fuse) to avoid overloading the dome lamp circuit.

Club Cab/Crew Cab/etc is body style, Base/Laramie/etc is trim level. Get a build sheet for your truck. There is a thread in the FAQ section with a link.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:20 PM
CDRam04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding footwell lights

Hello I just need some help with adding footwell lights. I have a 2004 Dodge RAM 1500 Crew Cab and I want my footwell light to turn on when I open doors and when I lock/unlock truck. I want them to tun on with my with my dome lights, but I want them to be on when Im driving. I also want them to be controlled by my roller switch, but I don't know what wire I need to hack into. If anyone knows anything please let me know. thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding interior lights and other 'newbie' questions