Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: Transmission Reverse Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 11:42 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Transmission Reverse Shudder

I want to let everyone know the reverse transmission shudder is normal. All Chrysler, Dodge and Jeeps transmission shudder in reverse. If you have the following transmission, A413/31TH, A604/41TE also 40TE, A606/42LE, 42RLE, 42/44RH and RE, 46RH and RE, 47RE and 48RE transmissions. The ones that shudder that much to none are 45/545 RFE, 65RFE, 68RFE and 69RFE trans. Now if you 948T 9speed transmission, that's a different ball game. We talk about those. I am a front line transmission dodge tech.

The following 2 users liked this post by master tech:
actualrebecca (01-23-2024), Miniwill (10-22-2022)
Old 07-20-2015, 08:14 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats causing the shudder? Gear ratio to speed? I assume a 6 speed is the 41te?

Old 07-23-2015, 12:42 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

In a way, The 62TE is the same as a 41TE. The 62TE now has a underdrive compounder gear assy. Adding two more forward gears. The reverse gear has two clutch disc and one steel plate. The rest of the transmission has 4 to 5 clutch disc. Also the highest fluid pressure is in reverse and is not adjustable. So between high pressure and less clutch disc, You will have some shudder. That the way these transmission operate. My car and truck shudder in reverse too. The car has a 41TE and the truck has a 42RH transmission.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:39 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

mastertech any way to know if mine has the underdrive compounder issue if I give you my vin? I think I remember it was up to 2009 but some 2010's

Originally Posted by master tech
In a way, The 62TE is the same as a 41TE. The 62TE now has a underdrive compounder gear assy. Adding two more forward gears. The reverse gear has two clutch disc and one steel plate. The rest of the transmission has 4 to 5 clutch disc. Also the highest fluid pressure is in reverse and is not adjustable. So between high pressure and less clutch disc, You will have some shudder. That the way these transmission operate. My car and truck shudder in reverse too. The car has a 41TE and the truck has a 42RH transmission.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:01 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Send me a pm with the last 8 of the vin and I can tell you. That also goes for everyone else. Please do not post your vin on the open forum.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Flotownson

Thanks for the info, I just got my caravan's transmission filter changed and now jerks when it is downshifting. It did not do this before. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:21 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Flotownson
Thanks for the info, I just got my caravan's transmission filter changed and now jerks when it is downshifting. It did not do this before. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.
Hey Flotownson,

Was the transmission filter changed at a certified FCA dealership?

Old 04-16-2017, 03:24 PM
GraceMan

Sorry this may be long but I have two issues.....

My 2016 Caravan SXT feels like the tranny is fighting the engine, not allowing it to spool up. Secondly 2nd,3nd, and 4th seem to engage abruptly.. I had to rent a Jeep Compass Latitude with a 6 speed and you could not feel the shifts.. very smooth.. so what's wrong with the Caravan's 6 speed.. 5k on it now... worst drivability of any transmission ever..

My 2015 Dodge Chargers SE 8 speed has had an issue since delivered and multiple trips to Dodge has not resolved it.... cold shifts into reverse in particular jolt the drive line from the tranny to the differential... there is not the typical bump into gear.. this is a clank into gear. I have mitigated this by putting the car in neutral when I park it.. set the emergency break and let the car sit on the breaks, then put into park... if I do this every time it will go into drive with just the bump and about 60% of the time just a bump into reverse.... I feel like each time I forget to do this I am going to find the tranny or differential or both on the pavement one morning... all Dodge can tell me after multiple visits is "can not reproduce".. get real....

Old 09-19-2017, 08:33 AM
IamJake

please delete this post. Made by mistake

Last edited by IamJake; 09-19-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:13 PM
lcperdue
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Transmission shutter

My 2012 Caravan Crew had a bad shutter. Let me tell you about my Chrysler experience.
I have owned 5 Chrysler products over the past 53 years
Four of those five were new deliveries
Three of those four had major problems from the factory.
Two of those three had their problems repaired...after much prodding from me.
My 2012 Caravan Crew shutter was never repaired.
Now, one might say "a shutter, so what". I know of no other cars that shutter like my Caravan did...it is not normal.
I finally gave up and sold my Caravan. I have decided that there will never be another Dodge in my garage.

The following users liked this post:
John Bleau (12-03-2019)

Quick Reply: [General]: Transmission Reverse Shudder