4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Differential Change Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 11:24 AM
5.7x28mm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Differential Change Questions

Hi guys,

Haven't been on here in a long time, and I apologize if this is a constantly-repeated question.

I have a '09 Ram 1500 with about 29K miles, was always my weekend truck (had a work truck I drove most of the time), until recently. So, now that the truck is 6 years old, I figure it's about time to change the rear diff fluid.

I've never done it before, but changing the rear diff fluid seems straight-forward. I have a couple of nit-picky questions, though, and you guys seem to be the experts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Question #1) I splurged and decided to buy an after-market diff cover. It happens to have an o-ring where the gasket should go. There seems to be a conflict of opinions as to whether I should use the o-ring or not. So, do you guys think I should just use the included o-ring, just chuck the o-ring and use RTV, or use both the o-ring and some RTV together?

Question #2) If you think I should use RTV gasket maker (with or without the o-ring) - am I supposed to using the "Hi-temp" Red RTV or the "Oil Resistant, Advanced Formula" Black RTV? Or am I over-thinking it, and it doesn't really matter which one I use?

Thanks very much for any help.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:40 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have always been told use RTV Black for the differential. I have read where the fluid will eventually eat through other types of RTV.

I've read of both guys using factory gaskets, Felpro gaskets, and RTV, or just RTV. Many success stories either way, so I honestly think it doesn't matter much. Of course you will get varied opinions from others here.

What fluid are you going to put in there?

Old 10-31-2015, 06:51 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would just do what the manufacturer of the cover says to do. If the o-ring leaks, it's on them. Anyway, it should be fine with the o-ring.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:21 PM
5.7x28mm
Professional

Jason,

Thanks for the help. I have a tube of the Black RTV as well, but then I read somewhere that you might need the High-temp stuff. I think I will use the black, like you advised, and stop believing every dumb thing I read on the interwebz.

I already have the Royal Purple 75w-140 gear oil, just waiting on a day off of work to get it done.

Thanks again.

Pedro,

Okay, I think I will use the o-ring. I had planned to but, again like an idiot, I read one Amazon review that recommended to not use the o-ring. But then again, I read a bunch of reviews that did use it.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-31-2015, 09:42 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

there is always one guy who makes and idiot proof installation not idiot proof and then writes a review

Old 11-01-2015, 12:06 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
there is always one guy who makes and idiot proof installation not idiot proof and then writes a review
Amen to that.

BTW, a good read for quality gear oil is here. People argue back and forth over the actual tests, as it was sponsored by Amsoil, but it still looks to me like some science at work. I purchased Mobil 1 gear oil partially based on it's results. I am also waiting on a good day, with little else going on, to change it.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:37 PM
5.7x28mm
Professional

Jason,

Thanks. I've seen that paper before. And I've read the arguments for-and-against.

I went to med school - and we had entire classes dedicated to "interpreting" scientific studies. A big part of the lecture was to always take a drug-company-sponsored study with a grain of salt.

Considering that RP is Amsoil's biggest direct competition - it seems more than a little suspicious that they did terrible in an Amsoil-sponsored study. And RP as a company has grown a lot more than Amsoil has in the years since that study - which seems unlikely that they keep getting more mainstream, but no one seems to have noticed that they have an inferior product.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Thanks again.

BTW - does anyone have torque specs for the front diff cover bolts? Are they to be torqued to 30 ft-lbs., just like the rear? I can't seem to find anything concrete about the torque.

Thanks a third time.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

I've been using the mobil 1 stuff and it seems to be doing well. The color stays clear not like the factory fill. Torque? I never worry about torque with these things. If you use the high temp rtv stuff, you have to apply it, let it set, put the cover on and tighten some, let it set some more then tighten one final time. Just tighten to what feels good.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:13 PM
nobby
Professional

Originally Posted by 5.7x28mm
Jason,

I read somewhere that you might need the High-temp stuff. .
There are high temps and there are high temps. The diff does not produce the high temps that the red high temp RTV was designed for.

Don't over think this. You are mating two flat surfaces....pick an RTV and use it. It really is no biggy.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:50 AM
5.7x28mm
Professional

Originally Posted by nobby
There are high temps and there are high temps. The diff does not produce the high temps that the red high temp RTV was designed for.

Don't over think this. You are mating two flat surfaces....pick an RTV and use it. It really is no biggy.
Thanks. I agree, I'm doing this today, and am just going to use the Permatex black stuff that I bought in the first place.

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Change Questions