2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

I put heads on a 240k engine

Old 02-24-2016, 09:48 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I put heads on a 240k engine

Well title says it all. I also threw a RT +10 cam in it I had bought a year ago for a song.

Im well aware of the cams reputation so spare me that talk.

I had a crazy amount of oil burning off at initial startup, but solid compression numbers at 140 psi across the board. At first I planned for a full rebuild but I chatted with oddessa and got their EQ 1.92 stock sized valves heads for 890, with upgraded .600 lift springs and 1 piece stainless valves. I figured that even if i put the heads on and the lower end blew up i was only really out 100 and some change for the gaskets.

So i proceeded to tear the engine apart to replace the heads. I reused the double roller timing chain I installed some 20 thousand miles ago. Plenum looked good still from that repair. The chain had no slack on it.

Didnt really run into any hiccups. I only snapped a few pics as it was cold and I was in a hurry to get the truck back and running over a weekend.

I used new mopar performance roller lifters and mopar pushrods that are 6.9 inches long. Stocker are around 6.936 I think. Either way they are supposed to go with this cam.

I cleaned the heads very well with razor blades and brake cleaner and used fel pro permatorque gaskets to seal them back up. No signs of blown gaskets on the old ones. Cleaning took a fair amount of time.

Got it all buttoned up on a Saturday morning. Damn thing didnt start. Thus i went on my battle with the dreaded fuel sync. If you didnt know you must pull the dizzy out to change the camshaft. Thus ruining the stock fuel sync.

Also, a cam easily fits with the radiator removed.

Well digging through the fsm i discovered this little gem.

Name:  Screenshot_2016-02-07-09-25-54_zpsfpkg5dqe.png
Views: 1672
Size:  290.1 KB

So i got the engine lined up on TDC with the timing cover. Using my thumb to verify it was on the compression stroke. Pop the dizzy off and sure enough its all jacked up.

On that pic you can see the little notch for the number one cylinder. Basically this HAS to be the number one cylinder plug. The camshaft sensor is right under that. If you try to wire the plugs a different way it will never fire because the computer is firing the injectors according to where that sensor reads which plug is about to fire. You can see how this will lead to a very strong smell of unburnt gasoline.

You can pull the dizzy out and rotate the oil pump shaft with a long flathead screwdriver. First clockwise to get the dizzy gear to spin up and away from the camshaft drive gear, continue rotating until you think it is lined up right then rotate counter clockwise to seat it back down. This causes it to spin some back the other way, so several tries are likely needed. Once its close enough you put the dizzy back on but leave the hold down loose.

Then you can rotate the dizzy a little bit until the rotor lines up on the dead center of that little notch. Its tight work with the intake on but is doable with a lot of "sight by feel"

I used my finger to feel the notch with my finger nail. I then checked it with a small piece of cardboard with the square end down on the dizzy. Then put the cap on and make sure the post for one lines up. It will be slightly behind the notch, I marked the dizzy side with a sharpie where the notch was so i know where it was with the cap on, dont forget that the cap only goes on one way.

Put the wires back on after that. Remember you dont rotate the engine at all after its at TDC.

Jumped in, put the clutch in and turned the key. BOOM it fired right up like it used too stock. At this point the sync is at +/- 0. or as close as is possible without a scanner.

truck runs pretty well but does feel slightly sluggish and misses or backfires a rarely once warm. This is normal without having the sync set with a scanner yet. Hopefully that will be done the end of this week and I will report back. At this point it is fine to drive the truck as long as you dont wail on it.

Back to the reasoning for this, I know have no appreciable oil burning in the few hundred miles I have accumulated since then. So far so good the problem is fixed to no detrimental effects. We will see how long the stock bottom end lasts, but as we all know the bottom ends on these workhorses have a long lasting reputation.

I also threw some used mopar magnum valve covers I bought off a user here a year ago for fifty some bucks.

Old valves. THey basically fell out after removing the retainers.

Name:  IMAG0394_zpsvtfp4lre.jpg
Views: 1418
Size:  232.0 KB

Fairly good looking valley

Name:  IMAG0393_zpsdwn7zgzu.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  313.2 KB

you can still see what vaguely resembles crosshatching on the cylinder walls. Not sure about this though.... definitely not scoring though. Ill let others chime in on what shape the cylinders seem to be in. No ring edge on the top of the cylinder either.

Name:  IMAG0392_zpshpskexda.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  275.4 KB

old gasket

Name:  IMAG0391_zpsqodmevyx.jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  296.2 KB

mostly clean block almost ready for the new head

Name:  received_1269542386392587_zpscnrjb5od.jpeg
Views: 1502
Size:  91.7 KB

other side, that one cylinder had more carbon on it for some reason than the others

Name:  received_1269542493059243_zpsv39r3272.jpeg
Views: 1517
Size:  97.9 KB

I painted the heads black with duplicolor to try to ward off some rust

Name:  received_1269639363049556_zpsdi5oovan.jpeg
Views: 1562
Size:  83.9 KB

typical magnum cam bearings

Name:  IMAG0398_zpswowgqlat.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  142.8 KB

this pic is terrible, it does not look that bad in person

Name:  IMAG0396_zpswdzgtfbm.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  160.9 KB

I did not do anything to the cam bearings. Only two of them looked questionable. Apparently magnum motors just do that and its not too big of a deal as long as they arent completely destroyed or anything. Could be fine, could be bad. Its just a repair on a 240k engine done by a poor college student, not that that is justification or anything, normal people would just buy another junker or a junkyard motor. Blast me if you want too. Its already done.

Last edited by Ham Bone; 02-24-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:10 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad you finally put that bump stick to work. How's it working for you so far? Also, thanks for the easy find reference to base set fuel sync. That's going to make my life much easier in the near future.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:20 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

I did a lot of digging to find that little nugget lol.

It's going good so far. Sounds good. A little deeper. Hard to tell of any performence becuase the fuel sync has not been fine set yet. Also no tune yet. computer is playing nice though.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

When I was young I had a 307 (chevy) given to me. Someone bought it thinking it was a 327. A friend and I flex honed the cylinders, installed new rings, bearings, oil pump, a used cam that was given to me, new lifters, gaskets, and rebuilt a Quadrajet for it. That was the best engine I've owned. I have no idea what the cam was, but that 307 loved it. That thing was awesome! I hope yours does too!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:16 AM
kraven
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the middle of something similar, except with a 300k mile engine. Barely has a ridge that grabs my finger nail. Cracked heads and bad valves made it not run and blow water through the exhaust.
Compression is still okay.
So, I'm following the same path. EQ's going on, new pushrods and lifters, swapping for a double roller set, and shorter plenum bolts.
I could pull it and hone it, maybe do the bearings. But I'm intellectually curious about how long the short block will go on factory parts.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome dayum job you did there Ham Bone! You're a solid college student without question.

I love the part about the cam bearings.

Glad you found that tidbit in the FSM too. It remains true to this day, just like when I utilized that info.

Question about the pushrods. I would have thought they'd get longer due to the thicker casting of the EQ heads? Were those lengths estimated with the cam and heads as opposed to measuring? Fortunately I'm not to the point of needing the EQ heads, yet, but they would be my next mod.

Oh, once you get that thing running better, you're gonna love it roll on from about 2800 and up... guaranteed.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Thanks WN! I try my best lol.

Yes those pushrods were estimated according to the cam on stock heads. I probably should have measured to get exact length. When I get a warm day I think I will pull a cover and check the wear pattern, just to be sure.

There isn't any valvetrain noise or anything right now so I think I'm fine. But never hurts to double check.

Yes the cam bearings are funny in these motors arent they haha.

I can tell from the sound of the motor in the mid upper ranges. It's got a lot more growl now haha. If only I can find an M1.....

Old 03-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Any updates? Still rompin like its a got a new pair of undies on?

Old 03-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Mt2500 off eBay I bought should be here by end of business today! So there will be an update soon

Stupid mobile version of this site. Gotten a lot better but I keep accidnetly posting in random threads it pulls up with you scroll down lol

Old 03-09-2016, 02:11 PM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice! What did the MT2500 cost ya?

Yeah, the mobile site gives me all kinds of issues, I'm now running the new version of the mobile app, does much better for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I put heads on a 240k engine