4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 RAM 1500 DTC P0481 cooling circuit 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 12:51 PM
jjb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 RAM 1500 DTC P0481 cooling circuit 2

I have been getting this code for awhile. At first I would clear it and it didn't back for awhile but not after I clear it it comes back immediately.

The condenser fan comes on high at startup for a few seconds then shuts off. When I check the connector I have 14 volts to both the low and high speed leads. When the fan turns off only the low speed side has 14 volts but the fan does not operate. Should the low speed be working or does there need to be some voltage on the high speed to run the fan on low?

I have been reading about the TIPM in these vehicles going bad and I was wondering how I can test it? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a TIPM if that is not the issue. I have a service manual but I can't find anything about testing the TIPM.

From the diagrams it looks like there is another relay for the fan built into the TIPM and can't be serviced.

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:43 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jjb
I have been getting this code for awhile. At first I would clear it and it didn't back for awhile but not after I clear it it comes back immediately.

The condenser fan comes on high at startup for a few seconds then shuts off. When I check the connector I have 14 volts to both the low and high speed leads. When the fan turns off only the low speed side has 14 volts but the fan does not operate. Should the low speed be working or does there need to be some voltage on the high speed to run the fan on low?

I have been reading about the TIPM in these vehicles going bad and I was wondering how I can test it? I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a TIPM if that is not the issue. I have a service manual but I can't find anything about testing the TIPM.

From the diagrams it looks like there is another relay for the fan built into the TIPM and can't be serviced.

Thanks.
Are you open to bringing it to a certified dealer? Thanks - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Old 07-18-2016, 10:49 PM
jjb

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Are you open to bringing it to a certified dealer? Thanks - Kevin T, Social Connect Team
I am s long as I don't get robbed blind.

Last time I was there I asked them to flash EVIC to add the integrated brake controller I installed. They charged me $140 for less than 15 minutes of work. Total BS.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:27 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by jjb
I am s long as I don't get robbed blind.

Last time I was there I asked them to flash EVIC to add the integrated brake controller I installed. They charged me $140 for less than 15 minutes of work. Total BS.
I'd recommend establishing a dealer appointment and once done so please DM me your VIN, servicing dealer and service advisor. If you need assistance establishing an appointment, please DM me. - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Old 07-19-2016, 10:40 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It depends on the type of cooling fan you have. Some of them have an opposed voltage setup on the electric fan. It gets complicated. I have replaced PCM on most, fan on a few. Give me the last 8 of your VIN so I can see the setup on your build.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:14 PM
jjb

Originally Posted by TNtech
It depends on the type of cooling fan you have. Some of them have an opposed voltage setup on the electric fan. It gets complicated. I have replaced PCM on most, fan on a few. Give me the last 8 of your VIN so I can see the setup on your build.
Don't have the vin as I'm at work but I have the tow package so I think mine is pulse width.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:16 PM
jjb

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
I'd recommend establishing a dealer appointment and once done so please DM me your VIN, servicing dealer and service advisor. If you need assistance establishing an appointment, please DM me. - Kevin T, Social Connect Team
I will try setting it up this week. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:28 PM
jjb

Originally Posted by TNtech
Here are the last 8 of the VIN BS613374

Old 07-20-2016, 09:51 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jjb
Here are the last 8 of the VIN BS613374

From the VIN, it's showing a basic high/low system, LOW sourced from TIPM and HIGH from a relay mounted to the fan shroud. However, I've seen MANY trucks be off a year in the service info. For instance a 2011 has a 2012 wiring or a 2012 has a 2013 wiring or vice-versa.

Fan should be a 3 wire DG/DB, DB/DG, Black.

Last edited by TNtech; 07-20-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:52 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by jjb
I will try setting it up this week. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Thanks for the follow-up. I'll stand by - Kevin T, Social Connect Team

Quick Reply: 2011 RAM 1500 DTC P0481 cooling circuit 2