2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

intermittent starting issues, turns over but does not fire

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:46 PM
ahero4all
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent starting issues, turns over but does not fire

Hi Folks,

I looked through the forums and could not find any similar threads..1997 1500 318 with 219,000 miles and still running strong.

A few days ago, it would turn over but not fire..I let is sit for a bit, it started then died..started again drove for a bit an stalled out..made it home and it started fine..
yesterday no issues..

Today started fine, drove to town, started a few times no issues.. it sat for about a half hour and once again it would turn over but not start..let is site for a while, it started up drove and stalled..got it started again and now it is starting fine..

when the issues appears it stalls when I take my foot of the gas..when there is no starting issues it seems to drive fine

any help is appreciated..I am on the Big Island and about to ship it back to mainland but am afraid to put in on the boat..

Aloha

Old 03-17-2017, 09:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

When it won't start, give it just a little bit of gas pedal, see if it cranks up. If it does, probably just need to clean the throttle body.

If it still doesn't want to start, need to find out what's missing. Spark, or fuel. Might not hurt to throw a few tools into the truck, for just such an occasion. (spark checker, noid light for the injectors, and maybe a fuel pressure gauge.)

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-17-2017, 10:36 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or if you want to start throwing parts at it...

The TPS, IAC and CPS would be a good place to start. (Also clean the IAC seat in the TB while its out).
Then comes the cam sensor.
Just for grins, you could always try it starting it with the upstream O2 sensor removed.

It would be nice to know what's missing though, no codes?

Old 03-17-2017, 02:31 PM
ahero4all

Originally Posted by HeyYou
When it won't start, give it just a little bit of gas pedal, see if it cranks up. If it does, probably just need to clean the throttle body.

If it still doesn't want to start, need to find out what's missing. Spark, or fuel. Might not hurt to throw a few tools into the truck, for just such an occasion. (spark checker, noid light for the injectors, and maybe a fuel pressure gauge.)

Welcome to DF!
I did give it some gas pedal and that makes no difference..I will clean the throttle body..I have tools in the truck and am going to get a fuel pressure gauge..

DO you think it could be the fuel pump relay? It also seem to happen only when it is hot..

Thanks for your feed Back

Aloha from the big Island

Old 03-17-2017, 02:35 PM
ahero4all

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Or if you want to start throwing parts at it...

The TPS, IAC and CPS would be a good place to start. (Also clean the IAC seat in the TB while its out).
Then comes the cam sensor.
Just for grins, you could always try it starting it with the upstream O2 sensor removed.

It would be nice to know what's missing though, no codes?
Correct no codes..Not sure what TPS IAC or the CPS is..or what the IAC is, I am assuming that is in the throttle body..

I will remove the 02 sensor next time the issues occures..

Like I mentioned..it also stalls while drive but will crank and start.. when it wont start at all is after it has been sitting for a while

Aloha

Old 03-17-2017, 02:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Anything is possible at this point. Really need to know what is missing when it won't start.

See if you hear the pump run when it won't start.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:11 PM
ahero4all

Anything is possible at this point. Really need to know what is missing when it won't start.

See if you hear the pump run when it won't start.

Going to get it to a mechanic next week..do you think it could be some thing simple like a relay?

I will listen to the pump the next time it occurs..This Dodge has always been super dependable and reliable.. Now that I need to get off Island it starts acting up..

Old 03-17-2017, 10:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It probably doesn't want to leave the beautiful climate. Can't say that I blame it. Are you in the service? Being stationed elsewhere?

It *could* be a relay, could just swap the horn, and fuel pump relay, see if it makes any difference.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:52 AM
ahero4all

It probably doesn't want to leave the beautiful climate. Can't say that I blame it. Are you in the service? Being stationed elsewhere?

It *could* be a relay, could just swap the horn, and fuel pump relay, see if it makes any difference.
Funny, that is what I was thinking but the Big Island is HARD on Trucks..Lava, salty sea and nasty dirt roads..

I changed out the starter and fuel pump relay..still stalling crank no starts..I have noticed it happens only after running for a while..never cold..Bought a fuel pump, got to get off Island..

I am a walk paraplegic..was paralyzed and diagnosed to never walk again.long story of hard work, good karma and lots of determination but I made it out of the wheelchair. I am here free diving and spear fishing..One of the best spots in the world for blue water and reef fishing...Booked my ticket to get back to work and now the truck is acting up..Shoots brah!

Old 03-18-2017, 08:06 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I have noticed it happens only after running for a while..never cold..Bought a fuel pump, got to get off Island..
At over 200K it wouldn't hurt to replace the pump, I doubt you have to much life left in it. Wouldn't hurt to replace the crank and cam sensors also. They can be temperature sensitive when failing and still not throw a code.