2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Surging idle/stalling

Old 04-16-2017, 09:30 PM
TyVodo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surging idle/stalling

I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 5.9L v8 -172,182 miles on it..

When I crank over the truck it will sit idle for roughly 2 minutes before it starts to surge, it's almost like a heartbeat and only happens after the engine has warmed up. After about 15 minutes it will stall. When I'm driving it and come up to a stop sign or stop light it will start to surge immediately and sometimes drop rpms until it stalls as well. Took it to run codes and nothing. No check engine light as well. Not sure what the issue can be? I NEED HELP, please.

What I've replaced and/or cleaned/fixed:
- Starter (locked up, doubt its related but thought I'd list it)
- iac valve (replaced)
- throttle body (removed and cleaned as best i could, about 95% of the gunk came off)
- coolant temperature sensor (replaced)
- spark plugs and wires (replaced)

Any suggestions would be amazing, thank you all..

Old 04-16-2017, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Welcome to DF!

Unplug the front O2 sensor, drive it. Is it better? Replace the sensor. (will most certainly set a code....) And no, a failing O2 sensor won't necessarily set a code.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:46 PM
TyVodo

Thanks for the quick reply, it's late here so I'll try that tomorrow evening after work and get back to you.

Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The connector for the front O2 sensor is up on top of the trans. It's fun to get to....... Good Luck!

Old 04-17-2017, 08:03 PM
TyVodo

So you were right, i unplugged the upstream o2 sensor and ran the truck for about 5 minutes.. No surging. This is looking to be my problem. THANK YOU, heyyou.

Only now I'm having an issue with the seatbelts.. Last night I noticed both retractors were clicking repeatedly and very fast, and the seatbelts are locked and will not pull out. This morning the clicking was no longer there. After work I had to jump the truck because the battery was drained (probably because it was clicking all night long) while it was running it wasn't there and the seatbelts were free to move. Shut the engine off and now its back. Not even sure of where to look for this issue. Any more suggestions would be appreciated deeply. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think there is a seatbelt control module underneath the center part of the front seat. Check and make sure it is mounted up still, and the connections are clean and tight.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:30 PM
TyVodo

I found the sctm, everything seems fine.. It was mounted in the way it should have been and all the wires leading to it seem to be connected correctly. Basically what I'm trying to say is it looked untouched, the zip ties put in place to prevent loosening connections were even still there.
Is it possible it could just be failing? It is seriously draining the battery and i can't keep jumping this truck for fear of destroying the battery completely. But i also need my seatbelts to drive, my job depends on a clean record and i don't want piled up seatbelt tickets.. Is there some sort of bypass i can do to release the seatbelts without it affecting safety and without the stress on my battery?

Old 04-18-2017, 08:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think if you just unplug it, the seat belts just lock. That would at least stop the battery drain, maybe.... worthwhile test anyway.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:42 PM
TyVodo

Yea, the seatbelts locked up.. I need them to work.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Control module part number is 56043003AD. Seems maybe it is still available new in a couple places..... Think I would call before ordering though. Other option would be to check car-part.com, they have a locator service. Should be able to get a used one relatively easily. Granted, it isn't going to happen as quick as you would like......

Search this Thread