Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2006 GC runs out of fuel with DTE = 25

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 02:17 AM
Dan400Man
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GC runs out of fuel with DTE = 25

Historically, the DTE and fuel gauge in our GC have been very reliable. Today was the second time in a few months that it ran out of gas when the gauge was between 'E' and the quarter tank mark. Fortunately, my wife was in a parking lot when it happened.

Reading through other posts, but not finding my symptoms, I was led to the DIY post re the cluster test, which BTW is freaking awesome. Anyway, the cluster test seems to indicate that there's no problem with that.

In addition to a lot of advice to never allowing the tank to get below a quarter tank, in order to fix the problem, I saw recommendations to use Techron or Lucas Gas Treatment to help "loosen" the sending unit, and that this eventually resolves the problem. Yay or nay?

This GC has 190+k miles on it, and I'm extremely hesitant to dump a lot of money into it, especially if I resolve issues by simply never letting the tank get below a quarter.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:02 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

That would be my choice. Don't let it get below 1/4 of a tank.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Dan400Man
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
That would be my choice. Don't let it get below 1/4 of a tank.
Thanks!

Is your choice strictly keeping at least a 1/4 tank at all times? Or does it also include using
Techron Techron
or
Lucas Gas Treatment Lucas Gas Treatment
to help "loosen" the sending unit? If not, any thoughts on that?