2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

PO441 and a momentary rough idle just after startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:04 AM
tdes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PO441 and a momentary rough idle just after startup

Hi, looking for some guidance. I have a 2003 4.7l Dakota. I have addressed about 10 PCM codes from my own investigation and a series of visits over the last 5 months to both a general mechanic and a transmission pro. They addressed EVAP codes, TPS sensor, Cam Position Sensor, Trans solenoids, and others. New gas cap, and a thousand dollars later - truck runs great but I am still getting a P0441 - and the only symptom is a consistent "lull" in the idle, or upon acceleration, for just a moment, within the first minute or two of startup, then it goes away and drives fine.

I've gone back to the mechanics and asked for a list of what was addressed in the EVAP system, to start down the process of elimination route, but I wanted to ask, based on that "lull" either in the idle, or just as I try to accelerate, and that one P0441 code, if anyone can point to a specific system, location or process - ie, like the purge valve or the canister to look first.

There's a number of threads and views on the subject in the forum, so I imagine this is a topical issue for owners of that age truck.

thanks--

Last edited by tdes; 04-25-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 PM
tdes

After learning that most of the hoses and the canister had been changed, and some more youtube/google research, I chose to simply change the $33 part- purge valve/solenoid and <1 min to change. I reset the PCM, took it for a drive and, at this early stage it seems to be cured. I expect it may take a few hundred miles for the PCM to give me a code if an error still exists, but for now, easy fix.
For the heck of it, I will make it a separate project to diagnose / confirm the old solenoid failed with a multimeter.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:59 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by tdes
After learning that most of the hoses and the canister had been changed, and some more youtube/google research, I chose to simply change the $33 part- purge valve/solenoid and <1 min to change. I reset the PCM, took it for a drive and, at this early stage it seems to be cured. I expect it may take a few hundred miles for the PCM to give me a code if an error still exists, but for now, easy fix.
For the heck of it, I will make it a separate project to diagnose / confirm the old solenoid failed with a multimeter.
You shouldn't have cleared the code. Should drive with it and let it cycle over a bunch of miles. Code would clear on it's own if fixed. It could also be the leak detection pump. On my quad cab, it's underneath truck, below driver's seat.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-26-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:20 PM
tdes

Thanks- and good point - since its there to pressurize to system, I can see how that could be it. Same quad cab here, I will check into that tomorrow. Inexpensive and looks easy to replace if necessary.

Last edited by tdes; 04-26-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:31 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

your fine. the leak detection pump monitor must pass or the p0441 monitor won't run. the fact that you had a p0441 dtc means the ldp is ok.
clearing the dtc is a more immediate way to know if the monitor has run and passed. Cleared, it will have to run 2x and fail to reset.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:59 AM
tdes

Back to the drawing board, the stuttering still exists while throttling just after startup, while the P0441 code has not resurfaced - but it's only been a hundred miles. I will have to do some more research, my thought is still that it's only related to whatever fuel/computer process is relevant during the first 2 mins start up.

any guidance is a big help -

Old 04-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by tdes
Back to the drawing board, the stuttering still exists while throttling just after startup, while the P0441 code has not resurfaced - but it's only been a hundred miles. I will have to do some more research, my thought is still that it's only related to whatever fuel/computer process is relevant during the first 2 mins start up.

any guidance is a big help -
That minor evap code wouldn't affect driveability, so I wouldn't relate the two. Have you checked....spark plugs, TPS and IAC valve?

Old 04-30-2017, 02:18 PM
tdes

TPS changes 4 months ago, will investigate IAC and plugs, thanks

Old 04-30-2017, 04:57 PM
dolittle
Veteran

I had a TPS that I bought at napa and I like napa but that TPS lasted about 6 months so I got one from Dodge, still going strong and yes the p0441 should not affect drivability.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:44 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

could be a vacuum leak that the computer is unable to catch the lean condition when open loop, but corrects for when closed loop.