3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 1500 died while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 06:59 PM
Drew`11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 1500 died while driving

Hi everyone,

My truck died while I was driving it last Friday. I was turning at the time, low speed, not giving it gas. The engine just shuts off and the power steering goes out. I still had electronics, lights, radio, etc. I tried to start it again but it wouldn't do anything other than turn over for several attempts. Finally it starts and I drive it maybe 1/4 of a mile. It dies again, exact same as before. It does this about 4 times total in the span of a mile before I get it back to my house.

I don't have time to look at it so I decide to get it towed to a mechanic. It was there all day Friday, Monday, and Tuesday. The mechanic said it started right up when he pulled it in the shop and they let it run and it only died once on Friday but they couldn't diagnose anything. No codes, etc. He said it was hard to start Monday morning but since then they haven't been able to get anything to go wrong with it. He said it might be a bad fuel pump and wanted $800 to fix it. I told him I'd just come get it because I can replace a fuel pump myself.

So I picked it up and drove it home, about 5 miles, with no problems. Now I'm wondering what I should do and if his diagnosis of a failing fuel pump is even close. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be or where I should start? Or should I just do nothing and keep driving it until it dies again either more consistently or permanently?

I've read about some fixes with the EGR, PCM, etc but really I'm just shooting in the dark here at this point. Other than starting with the cheapest fixes, I don't know what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 04-25-2017, 07:19 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is a TSB. Your local dealer should be able to Tel you by vine.