Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Van refuses to accelerate!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:36 PM
DahliaGrayson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van refuses to accelerate!

I've got a '94 Dodge Ram B250 that will drive forwards, in reverse, and will idle, but will not accelerate. I'm far from a mechanic, and am living out of/traveling in this vehicle, so I could REALLY use some help!
***This is everything I've had checked out and replaced***

New battery, spark plug wires, fuel pump, air filter, neutral safety switch, distributer cap, rotor, camshaft position sensor, ignition coil, and PCV valve.
All wiring has been checked and is connected, spark plugs are good, starter is good, tranny is good, engine is good, fuel injector is good, fuel pump relay is good, timing is good, computer is good, fuses are good, alternator was recently replaced. No check engine light, and no codes. All fluids are new and at their correct levels.
This vehicle does not have a catalytic converter.
​​
The van will rev when I'm in idle and push on the gas pedal, but won't if I'm in drive, but will move forwards and in reverse, if that makes sense. There's no other way I can explain it.
Someone please shoot me some advice because this entire situation is making me feel crazy.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:16 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Have you tested or replaced the throttle position sensor (TPS)?

Old 04-27-2017, 09:25 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

and also are ya sure the computer is good

Old 04-27-2017, 11:25 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was your van doing this before you checked/replaced all the items listed?
Did you physically check for codes with a code reader or the "key dance" or are you saying that there is no check engine light so no codes...

There's a site that will walk you through the procedure of testing the TPS and MAP sensors located on the throttle body as well as some other things that may help you find or eliminate suspected problem makers with a simple multi meter.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/

Click on the Chrysler index then the index box for your engine group then scroll the appropriate help subject for your year and test help, check it out

Would be interesting to hear that you find a fix. I've never experienced or heard of someone having this problem (hey, I'm a flooring installer) but doing a search shows that there are quite a few others who have been through what you are describing and could be one of many things. Simple thing is check for codes and test sensors for proper voltage and ground first imo

Last edited by JFloors; 04-28-2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: forgot to add the link!