1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Exhaust Routing for 91 Dakota Lowrider?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 04:52 PM
ojcool
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Routing for 91 Dakota Lowrider?

I swapped a magnum 5.2 into a 91 dakota original LA318 and I'm wondering how people have routed the exhaust for this application. The Y pipe has had to be modified significantly to get it to bolt up to the Magnum engine.

The truck has now been lowered with 2" drop spindles and 3" block in rear and the exhaust is REALLY close to the ground.

I mean, the truck isn't even as low as I intended to finally make it and there is no way this arrangement will work.

Can anyone say how they routed the exhaust for this application? Did you go OVER the crossmember that is running under the transmission? That appears to be the only method that would really tuck it up under the truck.

Right now the configuration is a Y pipe to a single catalytic converter then to a splitting muffler that breaks it into dual exhaust behind the axle.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:38 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ojcool

Can anyone say how they routed the exhaust for this application? Did you go OVER the crossmember that is running under the transmission? That appears to be the only method that would really tuck it up under the truck.

Right now the configuration is a Y pipe to a single catalytic converter then to a splitting muffler that breaks it into dual exhaust behind the axle.
Well, I have an '89 (4X4) that I put a Magnum 5.2 in, and I have a single 3" pipe running out of a stock '92 Y pipe, into a MagnaFlow hi-flo cat, OVER the transmission cross member, and from there into a Hush Thrush muffler and out thru a 2.5" single tailpipe.

It's tucked in pretty tight, above the lower edge of the frame all the way as I recall. The pipe shoots slightly upward after the Y, until it passes over the transmission cross member where it has a slight bend to allow it to level out before going into the muffler.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:39 PM
ojcool

Originally Posted by ragged89
Well, I have an '89 (4X4) that I put a Magnum 5.2 in, and I have a single 3" pipe running out of a stock '92 Y pipe, into a MagnaFlow hi-flo cat, OVER the transmission cross member, and from there into a Hush Thrush muffler and out thru a 2.5" single tailpipe.

It's tucked in pretty tight, above the lower edge of the frame all the way as I recall. The pipe shoots slightly upward after the Y, until it passes over the transmission cross member where it has a slight bend to allow it to level out before going into the muffler.
Do you know if the stock exhaust configuration was OVER the crossmember for the pre magnum dakota?

Where did you obtain a 92 Y pipe? Nobody seems to have that one. I modified the 91' Y pipe to work but it isn't stellar. The Y itself is really low. I'm guessing the LA318 manifolds were significantly higher than the magnum.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:00 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know if the stock exhaust configuration was OVER the crossmember for the pre magnum dakota?

Where did you obtain a 92 Y pipe? Nobody seems to have that one. I modified the 91' Y pipe to work but it isn't stellar. The Y itself is really low. I'm guessing the LA318 manifolds were significantly higher than the magnum.
OEM was over the cross member.

That '92 / '93 Y pipe is a rare bird now. I. bought mine about 5 years ago. I do believe that if you look hard enough, you may still find an auto parts supplier that has one sitting in their inventory. They are nice to have, larger diameter to match up to the 92/93 exhaust manifold's larger outlets.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious....why Y pipes at all vs true duals? I'm planning on duals on my 360 swap so was wondering if there's some reason not to.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:49 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
Just curious....why Y pipes at all vs true duals? I'm planning on duals on my 360 swap so was wondering if there's some reason not to.
Easier to order the exhaust to fit the truck *grins*

I'd suggest a "H" or "X" pipe in there anyway; that helps to equalize exhaust pulses and can help scavaging of spent exhaust out of the cylinders.

RwP

Old 04-27-2017, 06:51 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I would love to have duals and long tube headers on mine, but with it being 4wd, I dont think there is room for either.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:21 PM
ojcool

Well, true duals I would do but they don't sell a direct kit for that. You can get "universal" stuff and I typically am ambitious enough to do it but I kind of already spent money getting what I though was going to be an easy "fix". It's not.

Def have to have an X or H because the TBI uses a single 02 sensor.

Believe me, I wish I had just bought "universal" mandrel bend kits but I'm where I am.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:28 PM
ojcool

Originally Posted by ragged89
OEM was over the cross member.

That '92 / '93 Y pipe is a rare bird now. I. bought mine about 5 years ago. I do believe that if you look hard enough, you may still find an auto parts supplier that has one sitting in their inventory. They are nice to have, larger diameter to match up to the 92/93 exhaust manifold's larger outlets.

Anyone know what changed from 92 to 93+ on the exhaust that makes a Y pipe off that year not work? I can't imagine what could have changed that was so dramatic that you could not make it work.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:40 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Anyone know what changed from 92 to 93+ on the exhaust that makes a Y pipe off that year not work? I can't imagine what could have changed that was so dramatic that you could not make it work.
the 92/93 Y pipe is for a larger exhaust system; they shrunk it 1/4" in diameter for 1994.

RwP