3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 Dakota 42RLE Transmission stuck in 1st Gear?

Old 04-27-2017, 04:43 PM
StarBoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Dakota 42RLE Transmission stuck in 1st Gear?

I Have a 2005 Dodge Dakota with the 42RLE Automatic Transmission that got stuck in first gear the other day, it only had first & reverse. I tried to shift it manually with the shifter and still wouldn't shift out of first gear at all. Got home shut down, the next day it seems to be shifting fine but little sluggish. I have also noticed there seems to be a like whishle sound coming from one of the lines on the side of the transmission, you can feel it when it makes the sound and feel the fluid going through the line. Also now when you shift into reverse or drive you can hear something like a little motor switching something???. I've been told to look at the one speed sensor & then the solenoid that's under the filter? Would these be causing this problem or should I look at something else? This Transmission just got over 150000 miles the other day. Please let me know anything that can help? Thanks.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:37 PM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When was the last time the filter was changed and the fluid replaced?

Old 04-27-2017, 08:27 PM
StarBoy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by erau
When was the last time the filter was changed and the fluid replaced?

That I can not be sure of exactly, I have checked it though and it's looks good like normal red and clean, but I know that don't mean anything really. I know it more likely needs changing, but that's why I needed to figure this out why I'm doing that to fix what else needs to be done while I have apart. We have been driving this the past two days now just to store, doctors & kids to school only 5 miles or so at a time and it's shifting now but still making them noises and seems sluggish especially in 2nd.?

Search this Thread