1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

shop quoted me 4500 to rebuild transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 06:10 PM
Karx
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shop quoted me 4500 to rebuild transmission?

Hello everybody,

Bertha (2000 dodge 5.9 lt engine durango) has been leaking transmission fluid, about one or two drops per night for a year or so now. And lately she has been kind of seizing up and lurching into second gear. I took her into a shop and at first they told me i would need about $2000 if the transmission was in good shape but now that shes all apart they are saying they could give me a 100k mile warranty for $4900, and a 4k mile warranty for $2900. Does that sound legit? Any help or words of wisdom on this topic would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Old 05-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Don't fall for it. Have you checked how much your truck is worth lately? I'm guessing about $1600 if it was running good. You could get something much newer for $2900, much less what you could get for $4900.

Sell it as is, add the $2900 to whatever you get and go shopping.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:47 PM
fcastro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say you fell for an old trick. They should have told you best case and worst case before they took it down. This is BS move on the shops part. Hell check Jasper see what they are charging and the warranty is also 100k, just need a good installer and that runs about $500 bucks.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:02 AM
Karx
Amateur

Originally Posted by fcastro
I would say you fell for an old trick. They should have told you best case and worst case before they took it down. This is BS move on the shops part. Hell check Jasper see what they are charging and the warranty is also 100k, just need a good installer and that runs about $500 bucks.
What do you mean check jasper? And what is an installer kit?? Thank you for the reply!

Old 05-19-2017, 12:06 AM
Karx
Amateur

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Don't fall for it. Have you checked how much your truck is worth lately? I'm guessing about $1600 if it was running good. You could get something much newer for $2900, much less what you could get for $4900.

Sell it as is, add the $2900 to whatever you get and go shopping.
i dont want to sell it! that car is a tank! and i did alot of work on it, im pretty sure it will last another 100k miles if i fix the transmission! Thank you for the reply

they also said something overheated in the transmission cooling system?? or it was plugged up or something?? what are the chances that they are legit/how much would it cost me to fix the whole d*** transmission system myself?? Thanks again!!!

Old 05-19-2017, 09:14 AM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Don't fall for it. Have you checked how much your truck is worth lately? Sell it as is, add the $2900 to whatever you get and go shopping.
Not everyone has your lack of loyalty to their vehicles. To me, not properly repairing an otherwise perfectly fine older vehicle is like dumping your wife when she gets cancer. I never look at KBB to decide if I should do a repair.

Karx, you're sort of screwed a bit on your $2000 original estimate. In your place right now, I'd go for the $2900 plan to save a buck and still have a warranty long enough to see if it's done well.

My '01 R/T needed a trans 3 years ago. The original estimate for a simple pull/rebuild/install was $2200 at a reputable local shop. Before they even took it apart, we talked about me wanting better than stock (I tow 6000lbs a few times a year). I agreed to a high end torque convertor and a few other smaller things for $3200. When I picked it up, he said he had new kevlar bands on the shelf from another rebuild that didn't happen, so rather than buying new regular ones for me, he put those in. $3200.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Not everyone has your lack of loyalty to their vehicles. To me, not properly repairing an otherwise perfectly fine older vehicle is like dumping your wife when she gets cancer. I never look at KBB to decide if I should do a repair.

Karx, you're sort of screwed a bit on your $2000 original estimate. In your place right now, I'd go for the $2900 plan to save a buck and still have a warranty long enough to see if it's done well.
Wife, cancer...WTF? LOL
Plenty of loyalty here, but I won't dump twice what a vehicle is worth in good running cond, to fix it. It would be crazy not to look around. At the very least, I'd be scouring the yards for a tranny from a hit. When I discovered a small HG leak, I found a way to fix it without the cost of pulling the heads, which would have led to replacing chains, etc. I'd only paid $1800 for the truck years ago. She's my DD right now for about fifty bucks invested in the fix.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 05-21-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Whoknowsanymore

You can get a rebuilt transmission on eBay for about 1000$ if you have the 46re

anything more than 600$ to rebuild a transmission is to much
unless you've been driving with out tranny fluid or incorrect fluid type

this place is jerking your chain

Old 06-07-2017, 04:38 AM
Karx
Amateur

Originally Posted by Whoknowsanymore
You can get a rebuilt transmission on eBay for about 1000$ if you have the 46re

anything more than 600$ to rebuild a transmission is to much
unless you've been driving with out tranny fluid or incorrect fluid type

this place is jerking your chain
The fluid has been getting lower and lower im assuming bcuz of the leak. I am going to talk to these guys tomorrow again and get some more info THANK YOU EVERYBODY