4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2017 Ram 2500 options questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:01 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 Ram 2500 options questions

My 2010 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 is getting to the point that I am thinking hard about replacing it. Since my needs have changed a bit over the years and I have larger towing requirements and less need to commute I'm targeting a 2500 this time. Want the ability for 5th wheel and to not be pushing the limits when I tow my 10K equipment trailer like it is behind my 1500. Definitely gas since my towing needs are not enough to justify the investment and fuel costs of the diesel. What I'm looking at is a 2500 Laramie crew cab 4x4 with 6.4L Hemi and the Sport package for lack of chrome and black wheels.

I have a list of options/features that are a requirement for me and others that are nice-to-haves. I need a bit of additional info on a couple though:

- Anti-spin rear diff. My 2010 has this and I like it. I see it is not that common of an option out there in existing inventory. How much will I miss this if I get a truck without it?

- Side steps. I need some type of steps. I'm not going to pony up for the really fancy self-retracting ones that are out there. I like the looks of simple black tube steps. However, the factory ones that came on my 2010 were a huge disappointment. The chrome peeled badly and I had them replaced under warranty and it happened again. Have they improved anything? Should I go for the factory ones now or try to find a truck without them and get aftermarket? What aftermarket tube steps are good quality?

- Fuel tank. What size is standard on the 2500 Laramie? Some window stickers list specifically "31 gallon fuel tank" and some don't. I found reference online to 2017 2500 specs and it says 31 gallons. Having the 32 gallon tank on my very thirsty 5.7L Hemi I know I want the largest tank available, so I just don't want to gloss over this and get screwed by not knowing what is standard.

- Cargo bed camera. Is this easy to mount later or would it be a pain because of the wiring harness not being in place?

- Locking tailgate. Similar to the fuel tank, some stickers list this and some don't. Is locking tailgate standard on Laramies? Hard to believe it wouldn't be. Is remote-control locking tailgate (connected to door locks) standard? Or do I need to specifically look for this? How hard is it to add later?

- 5th wheel trailer prep group. How difficult is it to add this later if I don't find a truck with it from factory?

- Clearance lamps. Gimmick and prone to future leaks or problems? Or worthy option? I know the puddle lights and mirror LED blinkers on my 2010 were crap and died an early death. Same issue?

- Transfer case options? In 2010 you could get the 4-position (2WD, 4-Hi, 4-Lo, AWD) or 3-position (no AWD). What is available today? I want AWD option.

- Air leveling suspension. I don't think I've seen this on any of the trucks I've looked at. How valuable is this option?

Any other must-have options I should consider??

Thanks!
Rob

Last edited by BigBlueEdge; 05-22-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:04 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my questions mostly answered from other sources so I think I'm good. Thanks anyway.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- Anti-spin rear diff... don't think you will miss it that much, esp w 4WD auto available

My factory chrome steps on 1500 2014 w 42K miles still look factory new

32 gal tank is the best... my 5.7 hemi w 3.21 gears gives me 500+ range on the interstate, when towing TT (about 5K#) I still get 210+ miles

cargo bed cam... taking dash apart to make connections is a drag

locking bed is standard

I luv my heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel...

Last edited by rsdata; 05-23-2017 at 07:23 AM.