2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 5.9 engine transmission connections

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:23 PM
Johnnybgoood1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 5.9 engine transmission connections

I was given this truck without a engine and got a refurbished engine, the person who had this truck before me disconnected everything and then gave up on it and that's how I got it, I know nothing about the connections under the truck as for the refurbished engine it came with a wire harness attached, but the vacuum lines and plugs that go into the tranny are a mystery...some help would be appreciated , this truck is a 4X4, I went to dodge to get the birth certificate and it said it came with a 5.9 so thats what I replaced it with...Johnnybgoood1... btw it is a automatic

Last edited by Johnnybgoood1; 05-22-2017 at 10:36 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-22-2017, 11:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

No vacuum lines to the trans. Some go to the t-case, if its a 4x4. Should be a keyed plug on the end of them.

Most of the connectors for the trans only plug in in one spot. I think there are only 4 of them.....

For the engine, you MUST plug the injectors into the correct plugs, else you will have some truly odd performance issues. Download the manual for your truck from here. You can identify which connector goes where, by the wire color.

welcome to DF!

Old 05-27-2017, 05:03 PM
Johnnybgoood1

Ok, so I got the refurbished engine in, all connections are made, truck wont fire up, starter turns motor over with ease but no fire not even a hint of one, I checked the distributor and made sure all the connections were good and to the right plug, I am lost to this point..so help on other things I could check?

Old 05-27-2017, 05:28 PM
Johnnybgoood1

and if I am standing in front of the truck, where should the rotor on the distributor be pointing at ? when # 1 is at tdc should it be at 1 o clock ? and finally the crankshaft pulley has like a section cut out of it but nothing says anything on it it just has a few notches cut into it around the pulley

Old 05-27-2017, 06:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

With number one in firing position, the rotor should be pointing toward the front of the truck, off to the passenger side. There should be a 1 cast into the dist cap, and that's where number one wire goes.

Have you checked for spark at one of the plugs? Is the crank position sensor in place, and plugged in? Did it get trashed when the engine was installed? Do you hear the fuel pump run when you first turn the key on?

Old 05-27-2017, 07:24 PM
Johnnybgoood1

ok, yes I have fuel pressure, dist cap and rotor are pointing in the right direction, only thing I havent checked is the spark and if the crank sensor is plugged in...I will check them and get back to you

Old 05-27-2017, 08:43 PM
Johnnybgoood1

Man, do you know your stuff or what...I replaced the crank sensor from the old engine and it fired right up....you are the best......thank you so very much...

Old 05-28-2017, 08:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Johnnybgoood1
Man, do you know your stuff or what...I replaced the crank sensor from the old engine and it fired right up....you are the best......thank you so very much...
Awesome.

I love it when a plan comes together.