2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front End Popping/Crunching

Old 05-23-2017, 01:35 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Popping/Crunching

I replaced the control arms, including all new ball joints and tie rods on my 98 Ram 1500. The originals had 203k miles and were just starting to make a popping noise. I also had to replace the passenger side coil spring due to the old one being broke. There is now a grinding/crunching clunk coming from the front passenger side (over bumps and potholes) that is far worse than the little bit of popping from the old ball joints. The place that aligned it said there was no loose or defective parts in the steering or suspension. Here are factors that may affect it but I really don't want to take it apart again since I have a very bad back and took it back apart 3 times to recheck everything. 1) The rubber insulator was worn through and I just reused it. 2) You can feel the popping/crunching in the floor but not in the steering wheel. 3) I already checked/repacked bearings. 4) The steering is tight, straight and no vibrations or popping/clunking. 5)The lower control arm rear mount (that the bolt goes through) had flanges that were 1/8" too long to fit inside the frame mount so I used a die grinder to remove enough of them to fit in the frame mount.
I'm thinking either the spring is rubbing due to the worn out insulator or the control arm mount flanges are rubbing on the frame mounts. The sound has got worse in the 2 months since I did the work, but the steering is still unaffected.

Last edited by mantisman51; 05-23-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Do you have a four-post drive-on hoist available? If you do, put it up on the hoist, and loosen/tighten all the suspension bolts again. (this will allow them to be under zero tension when sitting normally.) I would also try and find a replacement for the spring insulator. (I suspect this is where the problem actually is.) Might also try bouncing it while on the hoist, and see if you can isolate the noise.

if no hoist available...... you may end up doing it on your back, on the garage floor..... Do you have anyone available as an assistant??

Old 05-23-2017, 03:10 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No hoist. Just the dirt and gravel driveway

Old 05-23-2017, 05:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

That kinda sucks......

Search this Thread