3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C freezing

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:06 PM
ed4733
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C freezing

Hi all. On my 03 1500, I am experiencing the High side line freezing from the firewall exiting out of the evaporator and freezes to about midway down the line ending somewhere behind the air filter box. I have never seen this before. Any ideas? I am thinking there is an obstruction at this point in the line. Question is,could I cut this line clear the obstruction, then repair with a piece of hose and clamps. Is there a filter or something in the line at this point? This would be temporary. I am planning to replace the entire A/C system in the near future. I am going to post a picture of where the freezing stops. Again this is the high or smaller line on the A/C.

Attached Thumbnails A/C freezing-air-conditioning-line-problem.jpg  
Old 05-25-2017, 09:10 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

That is completely normal. Are you having problems with the AC? And, no. You can't cut that line and replace it with a rubber hose. Too much pressure.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:40 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

who charged the system...was it filled with an a/c machine or home filled?

Old 05-29-2017, 08:52 PM
ed4733

Originally Posted by jkeaton
That is completely normal. Are you having problems with the AC? And, no. You can't cut that line and replace it with a rubber hose. Too much pressure.

I have found the replacement for the liquid line. I have never seen that line freeze like this. I don't get any cold air into the vehicle. I was trying to charge the unit again, and the low pressure was sky high. I have charged the unit last year and it worked fine until now. I know there is an orifice in the line somewhere. My guess is it is clogged at the orifice. But I don't have a clue where the orifice is located in the line. I did want to replace everything associated with the air condition in the truck. Did not want to take that on right now.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:58 PM
ed4733

Originally Posted by primem
who charged the system...was it filled with an a/c machine or home filled?
I am charging the system at home. Never heard of the a/c machine. Unless you are talking about charging from a recovery unit.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to have a shop with A/C equipment inspect the system. You may have over-pressurized the system, or there could be other issues. Sometimes, a lot of money is saved by having a professional handle the issue.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:23 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
You need to have a shop with A/C equipment inspect the system. You may have over-pressurized the system, or there could be other issues. Sometimes, a lot of money is saved by having a professional handle the issue.
agreed. I think is so overfilled the evaporator is flooding, so instead of the liquid to gas state change happening in the evaporator; its happening in the suction line. the system is designed not to freeze, that is the one of the reasons for the low pressure cut off.

Last edited by primem; 05-30-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 AM
ed4733

Thanks for the help. I guess I will get it into a shop here and let them look at it.