Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: When to bleed ABS and When do I need special tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 01:19 PM
kdjk5467
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to bleed ABS and When do I need special tool

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 3.8L

Hi, everyone. Thanks to this forum and a couple sites like moparpartsoverstock (useful part diagrams) I know just enough to be dangerous. So far I've replaced my own EGR valve and other fairly easy repairs.

The secondary brake tube from the master cylinder just ruptured! I am hoping to clarify a couple questions.

1) When I replace it, will I need to bleed the ABS system, or just the base system?

2) Will I need that special tool to compress the pistons in the rear calipers, or can I just bleed them without all that?

3) I am certain if I should use DOT 4 or DOT 3

4) Thanks!

Old 06-10-2017, 07:23 PM
2tall2
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the master cylinder did not run dry just bleed the base brakes like normal. A scan tool is used to cycle the solenoids in the H.C.U. to help purge the air. From my experience just bleeding the base brakes is good to go. No need to compress rear caliper pistons unless your doing a rear brake job.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:13 PM
kdjk5467
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2tall2
As long as the master cylinder did not run dry just bleed the base brakes like normal. A scan tool is used to cycle the solenoids in the H.C.U. to help purge the air. From my experience just bleeding the base brakes is good to go. No need to compress rear caliper pistons unless your doing a rear brake job.
Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Old 06-13-2017, 06:07 PM
2tall2
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem. If you haven't all ready replaced the line I would suggest that you apply the brakes with some sort of stick cut to length on the pedal to prevent the master from running dry as you work. Otherwise you will need to bleed the master as well.