1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96 Dakota cross member

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 08:52 PM
dakota1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Dakota cross member

Okay guys I've had alot of modifications recently and today i grabbed a set of torsion bars out of a 5.9 Durango and while i was getting them i noticed the transmission cross member looks identical to the one on my 96 Dakota and it also has a factory plate welded to the bottom side for extra support. Bolt pattern was the same too. I was wondering if anybody knows if this cross member fits a 96 Dakota. It looks more sturdy and it is also in great shape. Mine is all bent up so i will have to replace it anyway.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:40 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

The Durango is based on the 2nd gen dakota, but it may fit. I always assumed the suspension, frame etc was different from the 1st gen. But lately there seems to be some post of swaping parts.
Are you for sure the torsion bars will fit? I wonder if the front sway bar will fit and if its bigger then the first gen.
FWIW you may send a PM to Shadowthedakota. He is in the middle of swaping a second gen . frame, drivetrain, etc under a 1st gen dakota.
He may already know or at least have both crossmembers available to compare.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:34 AM
dakota1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
The Durango is based on the 2nd gen dakota, but it may fit. I always assumed the suspension, frame etc was different from the 1st gen. But lately there seems to be some post of swaping parts.
Are you for sure the torsion bars will fit? I wonder if the front sway bar will fit and if its bigger then the first gen.
FWIW you may send a PM to Shadowthedakota. He is in the middle of swaping a second gen . frame, drivetrain, etc under a 1st gen dakota.
He may already know or at least have both crossmembers available to compare.
As for the torsion bars they are the exact length and the end heads are the same size. Only difference is the bar itself is bigger for more stiffness. So yes they will fit.

The sway bar is way bigger than the Dakota but mounts up different i don't think you can swap it honestly. As far as size with frame i wasn't sure that's why i didn't grab the cross member yet.