Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Start problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 08:33 PM
BudhaRizzo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start problem

Hello gentlemen,

I have a '02 Ram Van 3500 5.2 LT. About 2 weeks ago I started having hard starts which has eventually led to it not starting at all. At first I thought it was the cap and rotor, so I replaced them. It ran a little but stalled and wouldn't start. Thinking it might be the ignition because the key had a lot of play in it, I replaced the ignition cylinder. It started, ran for a while, then stalled again and wouldn't start. I then moved on to the next suspect and replaced the ignition switch. The van won't start at all.

I checked all the fuses and the relays in the box next to the battery -- they all are getting proper voltage. When I turn the key to "on" the dash lights come on and the gauges jump slightly, but the gas and battery gauge don't register any levels. I also hear what sounds like a relay switching off and on under the center of the dash.

Is there a relay I am unaware of? Some "security relay" or something? Any insight on this problem would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by BudhaRizzo; 05-29-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:32 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Old 05-29-2017, 11:47 AM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If yours has the oem VTSS security and your key fob is working proper I'd think that wouldn't be the problem, but i'm no expert. maybe vtss needs to be reset, procedure should be in your owners manual if you have one. I'll take a look in mine after work. Some else here may chime in with better knowledge

Did you check for codes while it was running? Tried swapping the old switch back in to see if it will start again, do you hear the fuel pump priming when the key is turned to on position? Battery charged up and good?

Old 05-29-2017, 03:35 PM
BudhaRizzo
Amateur

Thanks for your guys' responses!

We didn't do a fuel pressure test, but we did a fuel test by shooting some fuel into the carb and the engine didn't even sputter, telling us it's a firing problem.

I was wondering if it might be either the ignition coil or the distributor pick up coil? Just replaced the cap and rotor, which seemed pretty burnt. Checked the distributor pick up coil; seems alright but not sure. Kinda wondering about the wire harness coming from the ignition coil too. All the relays look good.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by BudhaRizzo; 05-29-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:23 PM
JFloors
Veteran

When your engine "would start" could you give some pedal and keep it running or no? dirty and /or failing IAC might want to kill the engine unless you give it some help pressing the gas, mine did that and there's lots of threads on how to clean the IAC and throttle body

other than that try doing as alloro mentioned and check fuel pressure with a pressure gauge tester (easy to do and maybe $35. ) so not expensive and also a good tool to have around for you and your family/friends to rule out that it's not a fuel delivery issue to the rail anyway.

Here's a write up to read about and diagnose your ignition coil... and also lots more if you navigate through the Chrysler sections

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/chr...gnition-coil-1

Old 05-30-2017, 01:35 AM
BudhaRizzo
Amateur

Thanks JFloors

Old 05-31-2017, 12:54 AM
BudhaRizzo
Amateur

What are your opinions on it maybe being the distributor pickup coil?

Old 05-31-2017, 07:46 PM
JFloors
Veteran

Originally Posted by BudhaRizzo
What are your opinions on it maybe being the distributor pickup coil?

If asking me, I've never experienced the pick up coil failing to my recollection, but from reading some other threads in the forum it controls the fuel to the injectors firing in order.. if the pcm doesn't see what it likes it may shut things down, so could cause a no start if failing or wiring is faulty. That's one reason why you should check the fuel pressure so as to rule it and the fuel pump out.
You can take yours out and to the parts house and compare to a new one, buy it and try it out and if it doesn't do the trick then return it.

I think more likely your problem may be spark/ignition (crank sensor or ignition coil or related...) if your fuel pressure really is "good" but you didn't mention having tested for spark or fuel pressure or cleaning connections and checking wiring so hard to say really.

read up on that link I posted, and in the Chrysler section and navigate to your engine specific to where it talks about "no starts" it might help explain things better

Last edited by JFloors; 05-31-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:51 PM
BudhaRizzo
Amateur

Thanks JFloors!