2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 03:43 PM
Ckillen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 driveshaft question

Hello DF, this is my first post of many on this forum! I look forward to interacting with as many of y'all as I can!

I had a quick question regarding my driveshaft and wanted to see if someone could point me in the right direction for a part number.

My driveshaft fell out this morning while attempting to go to work(thankfully I was going slow), but I can't seem to find the right replacement.

Uploading some photos right now so everyone can get the gist of what I'm talking about.
Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you for stopping by!

2001 ram 3500 4x4 lwb dually

Last edited by Ckillen; 05-29-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:19 PM
Ckillen

Here are my pictures as follows:

Old 05-29-2017, 04:25 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It might be a less expensive option just to take it in to a driveshaft shop for a repair and rebalance. Hopefully you can find a local one. See if you can find out just how it let loose.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Either that, or see if you can find one in a junkyard. I would also recommend replacing the rest of the u-joints in the front part of the shaft. Those in the rear have been bad for a while.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:38 PM
Ckillen

Originally Posted by Torxhead
It might be a less expensive option just to take it in to a driveshaft shop for a repair and rebalance. Hopefully you can find a local one. See if you can find out just how it let loose.
That's what I was going to look into, but didn't know if the sheered off metal near the u joint would be repairable.

Thankfully today all of the shops here are closed

Last edited by Ckillen; 05-29-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Ckillen

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Either that, or see if you can find one in a junkyard. I would also recommend replacing the rest of the u-joints in the front part of the shaft. Those in the rear have been bad for a while.
Unfortunately I don't have a junkyard even relatively close to me, but that will be something I will look into and make some calls about. I do plan on replacing all of the u-joints in the front like you mentioned, because you are right the ones in the rear weren't in the best of shape.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ckillen
Unfortunately I don't have a junkyard even relatively close to me, but that will be something I will look into and make some calls about. I do plan on replacing all of the u-joints in the front like you mentioned, because you are right the ones in the rear weren't in the best of shape.
Now there's an understatement.

Driveshaft shop will chop off the trashed yoke, and weld on a new one. There ain't no repairin' that one. Of course, those yokes aren't precisely cheap either......

Old 05-29-2017, 06:32 PM
Ckillen

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Now there's an understatement.

Driveshaft shop will chop off the trashed yoke, and weld on a new one. There ain't no repairin' that one. Of course, those yokes aren't precisely cheap either......
Now to try and find one! I miss having junkyards within 15-30 of me but ever since I moved the nearest one is too far away!Still looking for a part number if anyone can point me in the right direction for that!

Thank you to both of y'all!

Old 05-29-2017, 07:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There are parts manuals in the faq section here. Download the one for your truck, and look up the number, do a google search for the number, and you will likely find a few.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:47 PM
Ckillen

I got part number 05015209AB, could anyone verify this? I've looked and seen on the parts manual and this looks to be what I need but I'm still not certain yet.
Thanks!