Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Delayed engine fire up

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:08 PM
arty4444
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Delayed engine fire up

Bought a used 2001 3500 maxivan and when I turn the key the starter motor kicks in like it should but it then takes about 3 seconds for the engine (5.9L) to fire up. 3 seconds doesn't seem like a long time but previous vehicles I've owned take less than a second.

can live with that

Old 06-21-2017, 09:52 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Valves are leaking or the compression is otherwise low during cranking.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:46 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it start up fast after the initial start? I had a car that needed about 3 seconds to develop fuel pressure after sitting for a while.
Steve

Old 06-25-2017, 09:35 AM
arty4444
Professional

Originally Posted by SteveR
Does it start up fast after the initial start? I had a car that needed about 3 seconds to develop fuel pressure after sitting for a while.
Steve
The initial though delayed cold start up is always good and strong right into a smooth idle. Consequently with engine hot start ups are also delayed but then weak to the point your not really sure it has "caught"- I have to pump the gas pedal a few times and it sounds like it's dieseling then sputters into a rough idle before settling into a smooth idle generally after having to rev it up a bit.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:18 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wondering, have you done any tune up work since owning the van?
Ever taken a look at cleaned the IAC and the carbon gunk out of the oriface it mounts into on the rear side of the throttle body?

Old 06-26-2017, 12:04 AM
arty4444
Professional

Originally Posted by JFloors
Wondering, have you done any tune up work since owning the van?
Ever taken a look at cleaned the IAC and the carbon gunk out of the oriface it mounts into on the rear side of the throttle body?
No tune up- I don't know what to tune up but I'll start with your suggestions. Any other ideas would be appreciated. With my service manual I can most likely handle how to tune up once I know the what.
​​​​​​​Thanks

Old 06-26-2017, 12:36 AM
JFloors
Veteran

Hey Arty, by tune up I meant change spark plugs (pull 3-4 you can get to) take a look and see. Sometimes you look and think, aww these ain't bad but you'll be surprised the difference putting fresh new oem copper cores in will do along with a new distributor cap (brass inserts) and rotor.
If none get broke you may get away without changing spark plug wires too but better to do so, so you know these are all new and should be problem free so long as they are put back in the right order and routed correctly.
That's your basic tune up besides a new air filter and oil change
Along with reading up in your manual you can also search on cleaning the iac and better yet the whole throttle body for a dodge either here or on youtube.com to get a better idea on how it's done, it's not all that difficult and cost is maybe a couple hours of your time some carb cleaner/ brake cleaner (just don't spray on any sensors,remove them first), rags, q-tips, $4. throttle body gasket... the reward is better idle and throttle response

Hope that helps you out some

Last edited by JFloors; 06-26-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:41 AM
arty4444
Professional

Hey Arty, by tune up I meant change spark plugs (pull 3-4 you can get to) take a look and see. Sometimes you look and think, aww these ain't bad but you'll be surprised the difference putting fresh new oem copper cores in will do along with a new distributor cap (brass inserts) and rotor.
If none get broke you may get away without changing spark plug wires too but better to do so, so you know these are all new and should be problem free so long as they are put back in the right order and routed correctly.
That's your basic tune up besides a new air filter and oil change
Along with reading up in your manual you can also search on cleaning the iac and better yet the whole throttle body for a dodge either here or on youtube.com to get a better idea on how it's done, it's not all that difficult and cost is maybe a couple hours of your time some carb cleaner/ brake cleaner (just don't spray on any sensors,remove them first), rags, q-tips, $4. throttle body gasket... the reward is better idle and throttle response

Hope that helps you out some
The basic tune up I do know and had planned. Thanks for the advise- I'll get on it and see where that takes me before looking deeper into the IAC and throttle body. This van sat for a long time and I just finished fixing some obvious issues and am ready to smooth things out now.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:08 PM
JFloors
Veteran

I figured you knew that stuff having recently been working on your ac clutch coil, I haven't had to do any of that yet but do have a noisy clutch ( it has a rattle sound) so may need your expertise one day. Seems some of those individual parts are not east to find these days

My van sat a couple years (2010-2012) too with a bad rear differential. After having that finally done, learned about replacing some front end parts badly needed and also cleaning up the throttle body n iac and other small stuff. I'm no pro but have had some fun learning on keeping this old van running.

Wish you well

Old 06-26-2017, 08:24 PM
arty4444
Professional

I figured you knew that stuff having recently been working on your ac clutch coil, I haven't had to do any of that yet but do have a noisy clutch ( it has a rattle sound) so may need your expertise one day. Seems some of those individual parts are not east to find these days

My van sat a couple years (2010-2012) too with a bad rear differential. After having that finally done, learned about replacing some front end parts badly needed and also cleaning up the throttle body n iac and other small stuff. I'm no pro but have had some fun learning on keeping this old van running.

Wish you well
Thanks,

At this point I do feel qualified to advise on AC clutch and yes finding the part was tuff. I found it on EBay but since have found orig. compressor maker "Sanden" is still in business. Let me know if you want details.