2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 1500 5.9 Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:16 PM
MamaBear1416
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 1500 5.9 Transmission Issues

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L and am having issues with the shifting. It will get to 4K rpm before shifting into second gear. Sometimes I have to let off the gas to get it to shift at all. And sometimes when I do that, it acts like it doesn't want to go. When shifting into reverse, it shifts really hard and it takes a minute for it to get going, used to it would go without me even touching the gas. It has also started shaking really bad while I'm driving it. I have 2 kids with me at almost all times. I would like to know if something is really wrong with it or if it may be an easy fix. Thanks ahead of time for any and all advice

Old 06-23-2017, 11:11 PM
Ramdad95
Default 1997 1500 5.9 360

It sounds fine you might just need your husband to get an obd2 scan tool to make sure though

Old 06-23-2017, 11:43 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramdad95
It sounds fine you might just need your husband to get an obd2 scan tool to make sure though
Huh?
Did you read the same post that I read?

OP- there are many things to check. Might eant to first start with the TV cable adjustment. You can find the procedure in the service manual, downloadable from this forum. Then move on to dropping the trans pan for band adjustments, filter change and fresh fluid.

Others with more experience will surely chime in.

Also do the check valve delete, also on the site.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:46 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a link for the manuals, download the appropiate year...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

And for the check valve delete...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...46rh-46re.html

Last edited by dbbd1; 06-23-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:54 PM
MamaBear1416

Thanks for your help!! That first comment was actually my husband being a tool lol.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by MamaBear1416
Thanks for your help!! That first comment was actually my husband being a tool lol.
Husbands never do that. We are always supportive of our wives.......

I suspect you have more than one problem going on there.

Does it start bucking and jerking much worse around 45 mph? How many miles on the truck? Last time the trans was serviced?

Welcome to DF!

Old 06-24-2017, 10:30 AM
MamaBear1416

It does get worse. And I'm not quite sure how many miles exactly. It's about 200000. And I'm also not sure when the last time the trans was serviced. We bought this truck last year. I should also mention it has been wrecked twice. Last time it was wrecked was right before we bought it and the only damage my husband and I seen was that the condenser got knocked back into the radiator.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Ok, here we go.

First, I think you need to check the intake plenum. You can take a casual glance down the throttle body, and see what you see. If you see oil pooling in there, that's bad. That will need to be addressed before you can expect any other repair for the misfire you are getting to be effective. (that's what the herky-jerky thing is all about.) Check the Plenum thread stickied at the top of this forum for FAR more info than you really want.

Second, wouldn't hurt to pull a couple plugs, and see what they look like, specifically, cylinder 6 and 8. Are they oil fouled? Otherwise damaged?

Third, might consider doing a compression/leakdown test. With that kind of mileage, there may be 'hidden' problems as well.

Fourth, Trans. Try this test, on the driver side of the trans, about halfway back, going straight down into it, (hard to see) there is an 8 pin connector. Unplug it. Go for a short drive. Keep in mind, the trans will NOT do anything 'automatic', you have to start in first, and shift when appropriate, (downshift too.) You won't get torque converter clutch, or O/D, so, don't expect them.

If the trans shifts into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, then its just an electronics problem, and is easily fixed by replacing them. (governor pressure sensor and solenoid.) You can get heavy duty units for under 100 bucks off of Ebay. Good idea to change fluid/filter, and adjust the bands while you are in there. Adding a drain plug isn't a bad idea either.

If the trans still exhibits undesirable behavior unplugged, then you are looking at a mechanical problem, and it starts getting expensive fast. (and a used trans, with a 30 day warranty from the junkyard starts looking REALLY good.)

Think I would work on making the engine run right first, and see how much of your trans problems that solves.......

Good Luck, and let us know how it all turns out.