Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

First Dodge! AC question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:02 AM
Jeremy Zane
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Dodge! AC question

Just bought a 1997 2500 Van, originally a passenger van the seats and paneling in cargo are long gone and had been used by a contractor. It's actually super clean with 80k on it. I'm converting it to a camper van and since the rear AC blower is gone, would like to use the compartment under the floor where the compressor is for my auxiliary battery. I'm concerned about just ripping it out as to not effect the main AC that is blowing cold.

Can I just simply remove it? Is it isolated from the main AC? Or are they joined somehow and I'm better just putting battery someplace else?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Old 07-03-2017, 09:13 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not up to speed on the rear AC system but the batteries are pretty heavy. I would suggest getting two "golf cart" type 6 V batteries if you intend to use the battery power much. You can only use the batteries to half of their capacity without damage so you need a pretty good system if it's for more than just lights and a ceiling fan.
Getting back to the weight...I suggest planning ahead with all the parts you are putting into the van so you don't end up lopsided or lifting your front wheels off the ground. My van leans pretty hard on the left side as its got the kitchen and most heavy items on that side.
Cheers, Steve

Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 PM
mgoblue9798
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Zane
Just bought a 1997 2500 Van, originally a passenger van the seats and paneling in cargo are long gone and had been used by a contractor. It's actually super clean with 80k on it. I'm converting it to a camper van and since the rear AC blower is gone, would like to use the compartment under the floor where the compressor is for my auxiliary battery. I'm concerned about just ripping it out as to not effect the main AC that is blowing cold.

Can I just simply remove it? Is it isolated from the main AC? Or are they joined somehow and I'm better just putting battery someplace else?

Thanks!

Jeremy
My 2002 with rear air has a Y pipe coming off the compressor that sends freon to both the front and back units. You would have to replace this a/c pipe with one that is for front air only. Either way you will have to recharge the unit with freon after repairs.