1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Air filter assembly 88 Dakota 3.9

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Josh89Griffin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter assembly 88 Dakota 3.9

Has anybody swapped out the original air filter assembly on a 88 Dakota with a 3.9 V6? I am interested in "dressing up" under hood and thought about doing this.
My 88 Dakota 3.9 has a Holley TBI with two fuel injectors that sit in the throttle body.

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2017, 11:35 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Thought about it; didn't because the factory intake a) is a cold air ram intake already (look where it is and follow the tubing!) and b) it's also the cooling vent for the SMEC.

But.

It's a standard 2bbl throat size; should be easy enough to find one and put a nozzle on the bottom for the oil breather; or even use an open-air breather since the SMEC uses speed density.

RwP

Old 07-22-2017, 01:28 PM
Josh89Griffin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot about the oil breather tube! Shoot! I am gonna have to do some research! Thanks for the info RalphP!

Originally Posted by RalphP
Thought about it; didn't because the factory intake a) is a cold air ram intake already (look where it is and follow the tubing!) and b) it's also the cooling vent for the SMEC.

But.

It's a standard 2bbl throat size; should be easy enough to find one and put a nozzle on the bottom for the oil breather; or even use an open-air breather since the SMEC uses speed density.

RwP