1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Considering just throwing money at my existing truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 06:48 PM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering just throwing money at my existing truck

So I'm bummed that the 4wd Dakota I was so excited about didn't work out. I've been looking every day for a month, but I am pretty sure I have the cleanest Dakota left in my state, and I'm not super stoked about getting a different one with way more corrosion. I hate rust. The issue is mine is only 2wd.

I have a trip planned in about 5 weeks out west, and I'm planning on taking the Dakota offroading a bit up into the mountains; nothing crazy or rock crawling, just up mountain passes to go camping away from everything.

So I've been reading about offroading with 2wd, and it seems like the general consensus is a locking rear diff = you can go 95% of where 4wd trucks can go.

Has anyone swapped in a locker or LSD into the stock 8.25 rear end? I read the FAQ but didn't see any links to how difficult this would be to add. What were your experiences?

The following users liked this post:
93 ragtop (04-28-2022)
Old 07-23-2017, 06:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If you are JUST replacing the carrier, and not re-gearing at the same time, the swap really isn't that bad. Grab a service manual, read thru the procedure a few times, gather the appropriate weapons, and go for it. Having a bud that had done it before help you out isn't a bad idea either.

I was quite impressed with how well my truck does in 2wd, with the posi. 4 wheel drive just means you can get further away from help before you get stuck. (so, bring the help with you.....)

Old 07-23-2017, 07:48 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

yup. put a Trak Lok in my 96 4X4 with its 8-1/4 rear end. have not really been in a situation to "test" it out yet....

Old 07-23-2017, 11:31 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cash68
So I'm bummed that the 4wd Dakota I was so excited about didn't work out. I've been looking every day for a month, but I am pretty sure I have the cleanest Dakota left in my state, and I'm not super stoked about getting a different one with way more corrosion. I hate rust. The issue is mine is only 2wd.

I have a trip planned in about 5 weeks out west, and I'm planning on taking the Dakota offroading a bit up into the mountains; nothing crazy or rock crawling, just up mountain passes to go camping away from everything.

So I've been reading about offroading with 2wd, and it seems like the general consensus is a locking rear diff = you can go 95% of where 4wd trucks can go.

Has anyone swapped in a locker or LSD into the stock 8.25 rear end? I read the FAQ but didn't see any links to how difficult this would be to add. What were your experiences?
Read my pinned post about the 9.25 swap. Chances are, you'll find the whole rear end for the same price as a locker or lsd. Bigger rear end, posi, and the great benifit of 11" disc brakes in the rear. Best thing I've ever done to my truck. Only thing is you'll HAVE to swap to 16" wheels, and get the rear drive shaft shortened. But we'll worth it if you ask me.

Now, about your truck being the cleanest in Wisconsin, I know someone that would like to have a word with you lol. It's built to be a show truck, but it's not trailer queen either. But it does get garaged in the winter.

Anyways back to the topic at hand. Tires and driver common sense makes the most difference off road. And being your truck has an auto, if you haven't, add a cooler and delete the check valve and you should be golden.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:32 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Link to the swap.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota/402111-mod-please-looks-and-sticky-this-9-25-swap-with-disc-brakes.html

Old 07-25-2017, 12:24 AM
T.C.
Professional

Honestly it worth just swapping the whole rear diff out. find yourself either a first or second gen Dakota with LSD and a taller gear and cut the bracket and re-weld. It is a fairly simple job and for mine the drive shaft connected perfectly.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:52 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by T.C.
Honestly it worth just swapping the whole rear diff out. find yourself either a first or second gen Dakota with LSD and a taller gear and cut the bracket and re-weld. It is a fairly simple job and for mine the drive shaft connected perfectly.
Thats because you used a 9.25 (or 8.25) from a 97-02 or so. 03-04 have disc brakes and they changed the rear a little bit.

Imo, it's not worth it to just swap the rear end for another one with brakes. Disc brakes make everything SO much better.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:14 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Thats because you used a 9.25 (or 8.25) from a 97-02 or so. 03-04 have disc brakes and they changed the rear a little bit.

Imo, it's not worth it to just swap the rear end for another one with brakes. Disc brakes make everything SO much better.
Forgive me if you've already mentioned this but how's the parking brake set up on your 9.25? Guessing you needed to swap the rear cables, but what kind did you use?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by tbugden
Forgive me if you've already mentioned this but how's the parking brake set up on your 9.25? Guessing you needed to swap the rear cables, but what kind did you use?
Sorry can't help there.. rust belt + no inspections = didn't hook it up. Thought I do know I've seen a thread or two out there that explains it. Iirc, it was a Durango with the 9.25 drums, and went to the disc. I'll try and find it when I get off work tonight, or tomorrow morning.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:38 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Sorry can't help there.. rust belt + no inspections = didn't hook it up. Thought I do know I've seen a thread or two out there that explains it. Iirc, it was a Durango with the 9.25 drums, and went to the disc. I'll try and find it when I get off work tonight, or tomorrow morning.
No worries thanks. No inspection here but unfortunately with the 5-speed and parking on my very steep driveway, I can't do without the parking brake. I even put it in 4-lo and 1st or reverse as a safety.