2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ac not blowing hard through vents

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac not blowing hard through vents

99 Dodge Ram isn't pushing the air through the vents too hard. The blower motor definitely sounds like it's working strong, I removed the glove box and looked at the door and it's opening and closing all the way. I'm pretty sure that's the door that always breaks on these trucks correct? Or do I actually have to drop the blower motor and look up? Also when it's on max ac it goes through the vents and the floor, then if I switch it to just the snowflake symbol and front vent symbol it still blows through the floor vents also and it's a lot weaker. I read that a blower resistor could be the problem but I don't see how, I've always though if a resistor wasn't working the fan wouldn't work on all speeds. Also the blower motor has been starting to make a little winding noise when on low speeds.

I havent really checked anything else only Lise only time I have to work on the truck is on sundays and a 110 outside I don't want to be out there lol

Old 07-24-2017, 06:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

It's the blend door that usually breaks. Its deeper into the heater box though. If you drop the fan, you can see the evaporator core. Wouldn't hurt to check it, and see if it isn't simply packed full of junk the blower sucks in. And if the blower is making odd noises, it probably isn't long for this world. So, while you have it out, replace it.

Blower resistor only controls fan speed. If you have all the correct speeds, the resistor is fine.

Max A/C recirculates the air in the cab, so yeah, it is gonna blow harder that way.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Chunx89
Professional

If the evaporator is dirty how do I clean that? Soft brush and brush with the coils right? How about a shop vac?

Old 07-24-2017, 08:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Shop vac AND a brush. Be gentle.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:31 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was actually going to ask the same, although I think in my case the weather is just so hot and humid here in my area I probably need more freon put in, I did hear the blend door is a common breaking part though when the AC isn't working right as well.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:58 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91
I was actually going to ask the same, although I think in my case the weather is just so hot and humid here in my area I probably need more freon put in, I did hear the blend door is a common breaking part though when the AC isn't working right as well.
if it's not blowing cold then yes you have a different issue. Right now it's around 93 here and a 112 heat index (south Florida). Mines ice cold but just doesn't blow hard

Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chunx89
if it's not blowing cold then yes you have a different issue. Right now it's around 93 here and a 112 heat index (south Florida). Mines ice cold but just doesn't blow hard
Does it start out blowing really well, and then slowly degrades?

Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Also when it's on max ac it goes through the vents and the floor, then if I switch it to just the snowflake symbol and front vent symbol it still blows through the floor vents also and it's a lot weaker.
You may want to check you have good vac coming in to the cab. The check valves go and you loose vac.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Does it start out blowing really well, and then slowly degrades?
nope runs the same

Old 07-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Chunx89
Professional

My truck does have some type of leak when I hit the throttle, sounds like a vacuum leak I never had luck finding it. I put a thread on here a couple months back and nobody could figure it out. I gave up on it but possibly that could be causing the issue. When I turn the selector to max ac or just the snowflake with the front facing vent on it still blows out the floor.