2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2003 4.7l Stalling, IAC replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:28 AM
tdes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: 2003 Dakota Install IAC tough, any tricks.. (stalling?)

I've had a trailing problem for the last year, as mentioned in other threads, with many ECM codes that pointed to me changing TPS, Cam Sensors, vacuum lines, canisters, etc -- alot of money later for parts, and to multiple mechanic visits -- one symptom remains -- stalling within 90 seconds of startup most of the time.

I have no more PCodes -- and from advice and research mostly on this site I think its the IAC is going Kaput.

Question: I already pulled it out, tried cleaning it up -- (that and the throttle body were filthy probably from all the EVAP issues), but getting it in was not easy or natural - I had to use a mallet to finish the job. But, it still stalls, as the part is cheap, I am just going to replace it -- is there any trick to it? Petroleum on the o-rings? there is only one holddown screw, so I can't walk it in as tho there were two screws.

I did fix my overall reliability problem by getting a new '17 Ram Laredo 5.7 hemi, which is awesome, but I was hoping to keep this ol' truck for other stuff.. after this, I am probably going to give up and sell it on the cheap!.. thanks in advance for any suggestions..

Last edited by tdes; 07-28-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:41 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

You should not need a mallet to get the IAC installed. Check to see where it is binding.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:03 PM
jerz2az
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey tdes,
You might check the rubber connecting hoses between the crankcase breather tubes and the intake manifold (flanged metal fittings screwed into manifold). I was having idle issues until I found cracks in the 5/8" ID rubber hose connections at the back of the engine and replaced them with 5/8" fuel line. You can get 1 foot for under $3 at OReillys or Autozone. You'll need to remove plastic resonator box to pull the breather tube, but it's only a couple 10mm bolts and a screw on the air intake clamp.
Hope this helps.
jerz2az