2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant gauge broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:53 PM
Tahoeddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant gauge broken

On my 2001 Ram 2500 24 valve 6 sp 4x4 the speedometer stopped working. I pulled the cluster and cleaned the contacts. That fixed it, but that same day when driving home the coolant gauge went up to the "Hot" pin almostly instantly. It was working fine prior to this. I pulled the cluster again to see if there was a bent contact. There wasn't, but I noticed that when the cluster was off the dash the gauge was still almost on the "Hot" pin instead of returning to the "Cold" pin as is normal like when power is turned off the cluster. Now it just sits in the hot zone no matter if the cluster is plugged in or not. When I turn on the key it jumps a bit but then it just stays "Hot" no matter what I do. I think the gauge itself must have failed. Broken return spring maybe. Does this sound correct? If so, here is my question.
Can this coolant temperature gauge be repaired or replaced? If not, what is a good source for a replacement gauge cluster?
Thanks
Ed
Gardnerville, Nevada

Old 07-28-2017, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

You can do a cluster test. Just hold the Trip Reset button, while you turn the ignition to On. All gauges should do a full sweep. If the temp gauge doesn't, it's broke. Replacing the entire cluster is easiest..... I don't recall if the the cluster remembers mileage, or the PCM does though..... So, you will have to note somewhere on the truck an "odometer discrepancy"....