4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ticking noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 03:03 PM
goodgrlsplaydrty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ticking noise?

I recently purchased my 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi last month with under 83,000 miles on it.

I noticed a weird ticking sound when I start the truck up and it continues and gets louder and when accelerating.

I'm trying to decide if this is something new with a hemi engine or if I need to take it back to the dealership for servicing.

You can probably understand my frustration after I just bought it!

HELP!

Old 08-01-2017, 03:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Go back to the dealer, and consult with them. See what they have to say. You want to talk to the folks in SERVICE, not the salesman. He isn't a mechanic.

Welcome to DF!

Old 08-01-2017, 05:44 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I agree. Take it back. It could be just the famous "hemi tick", a leaking exhaust manifold or something inside the engine. I assume you took it for a test drive and it did not make this noise? Have you checked the oil level?

Old 08-02-2017, 10:09 PM
piper618

Originally Posted by goodgrlsplaydrty
I recently purchased my 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi last month with under 83,000 miles on it.

I noticed a weird ticking sound when I start the truck up and it continues and gets louder and when accelerating.

I'm trying to decide if this is something new with a hemi engine or if I need to take it back to the dealership for servicing.

You can probably understand my frustration after I just bought it!

HELP!
Yes take to dealership - the ticking is probably the manifold bolt or gasket. My 2015 bighorn 5.7 hemi was ticking on cold startup and once warmed up the ticking subsided. Took to dealership they replaced the right side gasket and bolts no more ticking. Covered by warranty

Old 02-23-2019, 06:05 PM
palefebvre
Default Diagnosed my 2015 Ram Hemi

I recently diagnosed my truck with the same problem took it to the dealer and they didn't know what to do until I explained to them what they needed to do although they thought they had to do a diagnostic and I suggested to them that the Diagnostics wouldn't find it other than maybe an exhaust leak or a lifter knock. They did discover an exhaust leak and I told them to check the bolts it happens to be under warranty they found two broken bolts so they are fixing it under warranty but I don't want them to use stock Mopar bolts. does anybody have knowledge about what is best to use for the bolts aftermarket or otherwise

Old 03-07-2019, 10:24 PM
cjames1173
Rookie

Originally Posted by palefebvre
does anybody have knowledge about what is best to use for the bolts aftermarket or otherwise
Look up your town's local hardware supplier (f**k home depot) and bring one of the mopar bolts. Tell them you want the strongest rated bolt of equivalent size. they'll probably charge you <$2 a piece. if you happen to be near Atlanta, GA, go to "Threads for the South" in Marietta. Those guys are the bomb and you can walk through a warehouse of hardware (with employee) and compare ****. Good Luck! I believe my truck to be making some exhaust noise as well so I'm gonna tackle that soon.