2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Coolant leak by passenger door when AC/HEAT is ran

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 04:38 PM
guinness4prez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak by passenger door when AC/HEAT is ran

Hey Dodge people!

My 98 3.9L Dakota just started dumping coolant recently. It seems to really dump onto the ground (not inside the truck) when I run either the AC or Heat. I can't see where it is coming from, but its dripping down around the bellhousing and kind of behind the passenger tire -- under the front of the passenger, kind of where the side mirror is to give point of reference.

I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the heater core because it barely leaks if at all when I don't have the blower running, but as soon as I turn the blower on, it leaks like crazy! I thought heater cores only really leaked on floorboards inside the truck though?

Any ideas on what else may be leaking that is directly related to whether or not the AC/Heat is on? or maybe another question would be... could I rule anything out by that diagnosis -- ie. maybe freeze plugs/gaskets wouldn't leak any different whether or not AC/Heat is on??

Appreciate any help! It's hard to see back there in back of the engine compartment and there is crap in the way when trying to see from underneath. I was wearing a lot of coolant when I tried looking up from under there.... ugh.

Last edited by guinness4prez; 08-14-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

It's likely just water. Condensation from the evap core. Check it, is it just water, or is it actually coolant.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:25 PM
dhavi4226

Post title says coolant. Heater core is my bet. Coming out the drain for the HVAC box and passenger floor.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:57 AM
guinness4prez

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's likely just water. Condensation from the evap core. Check it, is it just water, or is it actually coolant.
Thanks for the response. I believe it to be coolant. The reason i noticed it was because my truck started to overheat a little bit (not in the red), but the guage started getting wonky, bouncing around a little bit which is unusual. I parked it and checked the coolant levels -- the resevoir bottle was bone dry and I had to add a couple quarts water. Then I ran the truck, and it really started leaking like crazy. Then the next day, the resevoir was dry again. I then ran the truck for like 30 minutes parked in my driveway, and after it leaked a bunch, it kind of let up a little. It looks like its leaking near the passenger side of the firewall, behind that black bottle that is part of the AC I think -- drier maybe? hard to see back there with all the crap in the way, but it looked like was coming out of the firewall almost it was that far back. I ran my hands along all the radiator hoses back there I could see and they were dry. The only place that was wet I could reach from the top was the hoses coming in and out of the black bottle, and they were wet, but cold wet -- not hot. So I'm thinking that was condensation maybe.

I couldnt really tell by smell if what was leaking was antifreeze or water, because I added a bunch of water to the system just to get it back home -- might not be much coolant left in the engine - mostly water probably. Although I will say it started dripping cold, and after the truck had run for 20 minutes or so, it started dripping hot... which leads me to believe its probably leaking engine coolant and not condensation. Would condensation start dripping hot after the car has been running awhile?

Old 08-17-2017, 09:59 AM
guinness4prez

Originally Posted by dhavi4226
Post title says coolant. Heater core is my bet. Coming out the drain for the HVAC box and passenger floor.
I initially thought Heater core, since it was related to the heater or AC being run, but the inside of the cab in bone dry. No leaks inside the cab on the floorboard, etc.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Rent a pressure tester from your local parts store, and pressure test the system. If it's coolant, it will drip when you put the system under pressure, regardless of temp, and will also eliminate the possibility of it just being condensation from the A/C system. (it won't be running. )

Old 08-17-2017, 01:32 PM
dhavi4226

Pressure test would be an excellent suggestion. You might also try running the truck with the A/C off. That will eliminate the condensation from that system which is normal.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:10 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The pipe you're pointing at is going to be cold when the a/c is on (or the defrost). It's going to have condensation on it.

Your other arrow is pointing to the condensate drain.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

side thought; if you're losing that much coolant, I think it's about to be time for a freeze plug change on the back of the head. I had one in the block let go all at once. Went in the store fine, came out to my truck spewing coolant all over the parking lot.