1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'93 5.2 suddenly dying

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 09:28 PM
93_318Magnum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 5.2 suddenly dying

So, I've had this problem for about a month now and it started rather suddenly. Basically, I can drive it just fine, but when I slow down (e.g. red lights or stop signs) sometimes it'll just die. When it would die, usually, it wouldn't start back up unless I let it sit awhile. I changed the fuel pump (maybe I didn't hook it up right becase the gauge isn't working now) and a new fuel filter. It stopped stumbling when I slow down and it doesn't sound like it's starved for fuel like it did before, but it still dies.

I took it for a test drive to get some gas and after, it died on me at an intersection and wouldn't start. Pushed it out of the way and tried to start it again, still nothing. So I ran to the autozone at the corner, grabbed some QuickStart and ran back. Before I sprayed any, I wanted to see if it would start on its own and of course, it did. Drove it less than a quarter mile before it died again! This time I sprayed QuickStart and it started up again. This repeated a few times until finally I drove it home and around the block a few times to see if it would die on me again. I drove in total maybe 2 miles before it died! It started up without QuickStart though.

Any ideaa what my problem could be? I'm going to do a tune up soon, hopefully that will fix it.

This truck is starting to be a pain in my *** now and I don't want to get rid of it, but maybe I have to.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 PM
93_318Magnum

If it's relevant at all, my diff is going out, and my 02 sensor needs to be replaced. Lastly, I'm also getting a code for injector control circuit failure which could very well be the problem, but I've got no clue how to fix this.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Fixing it is certainly cheaper than buying another one......

Tune up is a good place to start. Also, yank the throttle body and give it a thorough cleaning. May just be a gunked up IAC.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:47 PM
93_318Magnum

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Fixing it is certainly cheaper than buying another one......

Tune up is a good place to start. Also, yank the throttle body and give it a thorough cleaning. May just be a gunked up IAC.
I'm hoping it's the IAC. I'll try that next. The ECU is fairly new. Dude handed me the receipt for it because apparently he had it replaced awhile ago. I hit him up asking if it's still under warranty, let's hope it is.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:03 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

had something like that with my 92 when I got it. used car lot replaced the computer still had a miss (die out problem gone though) I did a tuneup (that it badly needed anyways) still a miss on #6.... replaced the injector with one of my spares still same issue. Plugged the computer in from my 93 that I had wrecked 3 days earlier and sent the rest of the truck off to the junkyard and 30K miles later still runs fantastic on that 93 computer that I was afraid of because the truck it came from got hit JUST ahead of where the computer bolts to the fenderwell.... apparently it came away unhurt.....
I was gonna let it go to the junkyard with the rest of the wreck but my son pulled it off anyways before it made its final ride.... glad he did....

Old 08-17-2017, 11:13 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imo of its only doing it while decelerating, amd runs well enough every other time, its the iac. Next time you take it out, when you go to slow down, our it in neutral, and give it gas as you slow down. If it stays running its the iac. Then keep the throttle down as you put it back in gear and take off as normal.

The is easy to take out and clean. Just be careful not to push the plunger back in. If you seem you have to buy a new one, this is ome of those things it pays to get a dealer sensor.