2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Replace Transmission Case? '01 Dodge Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 07:22 PM
perrylangill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Replace Transmission Case? '01 Dodge Dakota

I noticed my transmission case is leaking transmission fluid and the case itself looks to be in terrible condition.
The truck shifts normally for the most part.

I saw a new aftermarket transmission case selling online for $60. Do I need any gaskets to go with it?

Can I simply replace the transmission case itself, and not the entire transmission?

Is this a repair something a novice could do from a Haynes book (ordered one today) or is this something I really need a mechanic for?

Old 09-10-2017, 07:29 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

Replacing the case will essentially have you doing a transmission rebuild, since you have to pull it and EVERYTHING out of it. So if you feel confident doing a transmission rebuild, go ahead. If not, I would suggest taking it to a mechanic. Check around, some do not work on a vehicle if you bring your own parts and demand they order (and upcharge) for them. Be prepared to pay for a rebuild, as they'll likely suggest (and if it's apart anyway) is a good idea.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:49 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

i dont even know of an aftermarket 46RE case. Certainly not $60.

As mentioned, a rebuild would be suggestable at the same time unless the clutches and bands look new, which I doubt.

Figure $1500+

No it is not a shadetree job, requires several transmissions specific tools.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:34 PM
perrylangill
Unhappy thanks

Thanks for the response you two.

Its completely not what I wanted to hear but its reality, so thank you for that.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:43 PM
perrylangill
Question

Originally Posted by perrylangill
Thanks for the response you two.

Its completely not what I wanted to hear but its reality, so thank you for that.
I need to further ask, so its not recommended but it is possible to just replace the case and not do a transmission rebuild?

If so, what would a dollar figure approximation on the labor for just the case replacement and no rebuild be at a garage?

Old 09-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

Originally Posted by perrylangill
I need to further ask, so its not recommended but it is possible to just replace the case and not do a transmission rebuild?

If so, what would a dollar figure approximation on the labor for just the case replacement and no rebuild be at a garage?
That I cannot say, it'd likely be close to a rebuild in price, as a rebuild is mostly labor cost. Actual parts are only a couple hundred dollars, if that. Swapping a case would require removal of the transmission, and a complete dismantle of the transmission to transfer everything, putting it back in, then refill. They might also not warranty the work, unless they do a rebuild. You'd have to ask a local place and explain your situation. I would suggest AGAINST big name chains such as AAMCO (I've heard so many horror stories...)

Old 09-11-2017, 08:51 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Skreelink
That I cannot say, it'd likely be close to a rebuild in price, as a rebuild is mostly labor cost. Actual parts are only a couple hundred dollars, if that. Swapping a case would require removal of the transmission, and a complete dismantle of the transmission to transfer everything, putting it back in, then refill. They might also not warranty the work, unless they do a rebuild. You'd have to ask a local place and explain your situation. I would suggest AGAINST big name chains such as AAMCO (I've heard so many horror stories...)
Agreed. The clutches and plates are around $400-550 depending on brand/source/dealer arrangement. Labor here in DFW Texas is around $95/hour on the low side (shop I used to be at was $110 per) and I believe the trans books around 7 hours to gut out and refill, with an hour in there for inspecting and pulling the burned parts and inserting the new ones, and washing out the case.

Again, i don't know of an aftermarket 46RE case. I have a feeling it is just a stock replacement casting by Trans Specialties or various other (typically Chinese) sand casting companies. You would not gain anything from it. If anything, could be weaker than a factory casting.

Last edited by magnethead; 09-11-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:20 PM
perrylangill
Default Transmission pan vs transmission case

Is there a difference between a transmission case and a transmission pan?

If the pan is different than the case, can one simply replace the pan without requiring a transmission rebuild? How expensive would the repair run in a garage for the leaky thing?

Last edited by perrylangill; 09-23-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Pan bolts to the bottom of the case. (with lotsa bolts.....) Dropping it, and changing the gasket is easy, just messy...... Filter/gasket kit is cheap. Last I checked, a 'trans service' (replace the filter, and changing some fluid) is still under 100 bucks.....