2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High Shift Points, 1 and 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:06 PM
99sportram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Shift Points, 1 and 2

Alright long story, trans shifted like crap and kept throwing all sorts of codes. I replaced all the sensors in the trans and it shifted better but was stuck in limp mode. Turns out my PCM wasn't sending any control signals and was bleeding my grounds. Ordered a new and programmed PCM and installed it two days ago. Codes are gone, limp mode is gone and it fixed a ton of other issues i had. Now the shift points seem extremely high. 1 and 2nd gears go up to 3k-3500 RPMS before it will shift. After that it is golden and shifts up and down fine. Ive tried adjusting the TV cable and it doesn't change much, any ideas? Does the TV cable get stuck sometimes? Also, when i try to pass, sometimes it kicks down and sometimes it won't.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Sounds like the cable is either sticking, or broke...... disconnect it from both ends, and see how it feels.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:18 PM
Jeremy Farris

Originally Posted by 99sportram
Alright long story, trans shifted like crap and kept throwing all sorts of codes. I replaced all the sensors in the trans and it shifted better but was stuck in limp mode. Turns out my PCM wasn't sending any control signals and was bleeding my grounds. Ordered a new and programmed PCM and installed it two days ago. Codes are gone, limp mode is gone and it fixed a ton of other issues i had. Now the shift points seem extremely high. 1 and 2nd gears go up to 3k-3500 RPMS before it will shift. After that it is golden and shifts up and down fine. Ive tried adjusting the TV cable and it doesn't change much, any ideas? Does the TV cable get stuck sometimes? Also, when i try to pass, sometimes it kicks down and sometimes it won't.
I stumbled across your thread and I have the same problem. Have you fixed the problem? I have replaced the pressure solenoid and sensor thinking for sure my trans would be fixed. I am hoping my trans holds up so I can have it rebuilt. Was the TV cable your problem?

Old 09-22-2017, 11:25 PM
99sportram

Yes. I got some WD-40 and sprayed it pretty good and worked the cable back and forth. Man you have to have it set just about perfect. If it's off one tooth it won't be quite right. Mine still isn't perfect. It shifts at a good RPM now but now 3rd is really lazy and wants to kick down on me so I'll have to adjust it some more