1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

removing frame rivets

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 10:33 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default removing frame rivets

Any pointers on doing this? I have removed 4 from the right rear spring hanger. I used a 4in. grinder and ground the heads off. Then I used a chisel to drive the hanger off of the rivet shaft. Then had to grind the rivet shaft flat to frame and with a lot of effort, punched it out the back side of the frame.
Is there an easier way to do this?
Thanks for your opinions.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Nice sharp drill bit. Drill into the head, at least as deep as the frame surface. Use an air chisel to blow the heads off, then punch them out of the frame.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:36 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Nice sharp drill bit. Drill into the head, at least as deep as the frame surface. Use an air chisel to blow the head
s off, then punch them out of the frame.

I appreciate the suggestion. I was looking at a few youtubes showing the same thing. I will give that a try!!

Old 09-26-2017, 04:16 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My Hitachi angle grinder with a good wheel made pretty short work of those rivets. Honestly it was faster than drilling even with a carbide bit.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:06 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Unhappy

Originally Posted by tbugden
My Hitachi angle grinder with a good wheel made pretty short work of those rivets. Honestly it was faster than drilling even with a carbide bit.

OK, it took me about 1 hr to remove 4 rivets from the rear spring hangers. It seems a combo of grinding the heads off, center punching, drilling a little and then the air hammer. FWIW I am really thinking about buying one of those drill doctors. and the punch for my air chisel is slightly bent. (harbor freight junk) This is turning out to be the worst part of this project.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The drill doctor, when you figger out how to use it properly, is a WONDERFUL tool.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:52 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

OK, it took me about 1 hr to remove 4 rivets from the rear spring hangers. It seems a combo of grinding the heads off, center punching, drilling a little and then the air hammer. FWIW I am really thinking about buying one of those drill doctors. and the punch for my air chisel is slightly bent. (harbor freight junk) This is turning out to be the worst part of this project.
Oh yeah the hangers were the worst because you have to angle the grinder in a less than efficient manner to avoid cutting through the hanger. I retrospect those ones might've been easier done with a drill, I can't say. That said, with the grinder I was able to grind the whole head off the rivet and then just tap the rivet out with a hammer and punch. Most came out with one or two hits. I didn't need a center punch or air hammer at all.

I also have a drill doctor and it seems to do a good job. Fun to use too