2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sonnax sure cure installed problems persist

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 07:57 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sonnax sure cure installed problems persist

Hey guys, looking for opinions and experience. So the run down is I have a ‘96 1500 5.2L 4x4 with 355s and about 35” tall tires and 298k on the clock. This past weekend I installed the sure cure and changed the fluid that came out as a band aid, due to the high mileage, color/smell of the fluid removed and deposits I found in the pan I know my trans is on borrowed time.

All that aside, the truck really doesn’t slip in gear yet so I would tend to think it should be ok for awhile longer. I feel like the problem is control, when the truck is fully warmed up and driven on a level surface directly to 55 or so it shifts like it is suppose to, much smoother after the sonnax kit. My problem comes when I only accelerate to 35 40 45 and so on, it will get “hung up” in second gear. The worst is when traveling downhill, the trans will be stuck in second and actually engine brake down close to 10 mph or so before it finally releases. Other times it will “miss” third, which I would write off as a slip but when it engages no matter what is behind the truck once it has that gear it’s good, unless it decides to go back into second without any added throttle or incline. Which is my other problem, sometimes even when driving on a level surface at 40-45 trans will shift to third, then a few seconds later back to second then when I back off the throttle it will go back to third then overdrive then lockup.

So my question is, did I miss something in the valve body? The sonnax kit absolutely helped my trans with harsh shifting into drive and delayed reverse operation, as well as making the trans actually shift correctly on a level drive but I still have my previous conditions but now exclusively to less than favorable conditions. Could worn out clutched and associated hard parts cause my problems or am I not finished with the valve body. I feel like a full rebuild isn’t necessary yet but I’d definitely hate to pull the whole thing apart and spend all the money to have the same problems.

Thank you

Last edited by P1NKST@FF; 10-05-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Should have changed the electronics while you were in there..... Did you adjust the bands as well?

Old 10-05-2017, 10:16 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

I meant to put that I also replaced governer pressure sensor and solenoid as well as adjusting the bands. Only real damage I found was a broken spring in one of the pistons (the one sonnax sends because it’s always broken). Do you think there could be a problem with the shift solenoids?

Old 10-06-2017, 05:02 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Install a remote filter in the transmission cooler line. It has fixed my shifting issues couple times already just by adding or changing my online filter. Worth a try.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:35 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Tv cable adjusted correctly? Might want to remove the check valve on the cooler line. Check pressures to see what it has. If you have or can get an OBD reader that reads live data you can see what the pcm is seeing as far as the pressure sensor.
http://www.atraonline.com/manuals/se...0/2000_154.pdf

Old 10-06-2017, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

What specs did you use to adjust the bands?

Old 10-06-2017, 10:46 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

Your gonna hate me, I did not have a socket that would fit them or a torque wrench to go low enough, I believe 72 in/lb, so I snugged them both (being sure to error on the side of too slack) and backed out the front 2 7/8s and the rear 2 turns even.

looks like my best bet is to buy a pressure gauge to verify TV adjustment

Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hhhmmm.... some folks have stated that 2 and 7/8ths is too much on the front band. (yeah, the one INSIDE the friggin' trans. MonteC, our resident trans expert, that we haven't seen in quite some time, recommended 1.5 to 2 turns.......

Old 10-08-2017, 12:21 AM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

I hesitate to argue with you but the front band adjuster was on the outside, though if I need to drop the pan to run that adjuster in a bit I’m willing to if it will help my issue but I don’t see how it would.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by P1NKST@FF
I hesitate to argue with you but the front band adjuster was on the outside, though if I need to drop the pan to run that adjuster in a bit I’m willing to if it will help my issue but I don’t see how it would.
Is it? I know one of them is inside..... Its just generally my luck to have to address the part that is hardest to get to.