3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermitant Random misfire, sluggish acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Denny M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermitant Random misfire, sluggish acceleration

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.
I have a 2007 Ram 1500 quad cab, running 4.7L flex fuel with 5 speed auto.
My issue started a few months back with a P0300 code which would flash up then cycle off.
The symptoms I've noticed are; the truck has an intermittent misfire/rough idle, usually for a few seconds after shifting from park into gear or from gear into park. When shifting into gear and at initial acceleration the truck can be sluggish not wanting to accelerate until this misfire clears. Occasionally when this happens the engine light can start flashing which I believe means excess fuel being dumped. When shifting from gear to park the truck will run rough for a couple seconds and then settle down. occasional the misfire/rough idle can last longer and again this is intermittent does not happen all the time.
As this issue is intermittent I figure its probably a sensor or similar going bad so I start by changing out the TPS sensor, this didn't fix it. After changing out the TPS my battery went dead so it was replaced and the issue was better for a few days but has now come back. I'm guessing the issue is still a sensor so was going to look at the crank censor next but thought I'd post on here to hear if anyone else has had this issue and fixed it with any success.
I've also read that the Air Control Valve or MAP sensor could cause a similar issue.
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Flashing CEL is just telling you the engine is misfiring. Which you already knew......

Try disconnecting the front O2 sensors for a while, see if the problem goes away.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:37 PM
Denny M

I disconnected the upstream O2 sensors as you suggested and have driven the truck for several days, over this time I would normally expect several sluggish acceleration, misfiring episodes but have have none and the truck seems to be running smoother.
From this test I assume the upstream O2 sensors are malfunctioning and will need changing out, would this be your assessment as well?

Old 10-19-2017, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Yep. Sure would. NTK or Denso sensors please. Skip the bosch, even though they are cheaper... Our trucks just don't like 'em.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:41 PM
03DURANGOGAL
Default Help!!!!!

Where is the o2 sensors at on a 03 Durango????

Thanks

Old 11-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Denny M

I replaced both front O2 sensors with DENSO $28 each off eBay, runs smooth and truck is not throwing any codes now. Thanks
O2 sensors are found before and after the catalytic converters on your exhaust.