1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota no start.... I need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:29 AM
TJ Walden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Dakota no start.... I need help

I have a 95 2wd with the 318. I replace the plenum gaskets and now it won't start. Please help.

Replaced:
plugs
cap
rotor
distur pickup
Crank sensor
plenum gaskets

Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

What is it not doing? Will the engine crank? Are you hearing the fuel pump run? Are you getting spark?

Old 10-19-2017, 05:38 PM
CocaColaDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,
I've has this same issue with my '87 Dakota with 2.2l, my '90 Ramcharger with a 360, and my '93 Dakota. First I would recommend making sure you are in Park or Neutral (my dog knocked the shifter into reverse a couple times and wouldnt start until i realized what happened).
If that wasn't it, I would say the next thing would be finding your starter relay and switching out the little black relay switch in your fuse box. if that doesn't work, find the two smaller gauge wires leading toward the starter. there should be a pull apart connector about a foot away from the fusebox or battery area, one of those wires should be the "hot wire"from the ignition switch to the starter relay to the starter. now get yourself about a 2-3 foot section of wire to use as a jumper from the battery to where that connector is. turn your ignition switch to on, and make sure that you are either in park or you have the wheels blocked and in neutral. now use the wire to connect directly from the battery to the wire going to the starter. you should at least hear the pinion armature push out to try starting. If it does start like this, your best bet would be to get a good length of speaker wire and run from the battery to a push button start inside the cab, and back to this wire. It will still need the key in the ignition to give power to the ECM to control spark and all that so this won't allow someone just to come up and drive away without a key.