3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Water sloshing under drivers seat - with skid plates

Old 10-17-2017, 11:35 AM
OrlandoDurango
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water sloshing under drivers seat - with skid plates

I've read through the few threads I could find about water intrusion in the areas under the driver and passenger seats but my durango has skid plates and I can't access or see the drains on the driver side.

Passenger side has obvious drain grommets, I pulled those but no water came out.

Driver's side has some sort of plastic fasteners and I tried pushing one of them up but no water came out so I didn't proceed / risk breaking it.

Any ideas on how to drain this water given the skid plate? See pictures attached.

Edit: this video shows the drain plug I'm looking for @1:06

Attached Thumbnails Water sloshing under drivers seat - with skid plates-20171017_112519.jpg   Water sloshing under drivers seat - with skid plates-20171017_112515.jpg   Water sloshing under drivers seat - with skid plates-20171017_112512.jpg  

Last edited by OrlandoDurango; 10-17-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:45 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

DO you have a sunroof? The drains can be clogged,

Old 10-17-2017, 11:51 AM
OrlandoDurango
Amateur

Originally Posted by TNtech
DO you have a sunroof? The drains can be clogged,
I'm looking for how to drain the water now and will figure out the source this weekend

Old 10-18-2017, 08:51 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Drains are in the bottom of the under seat 'storage' areas - passenger side has the battery and the driver's side has some electronics, harnesses, and void space. Move the seat all the way forward, then rear and pop the carpeted covers and have a look inside. Those are the lowest points of the cabin.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:10 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if the sunroof drains are clear and draining...another thing to check is the windshield...has it been replaced, if yes; i had one where the glass installer hit the a-pillar with a blade when cutting out the urethane... put a hole in it. the leak went down the apillar to the floor pan and collected in a void under the drivers seat. removing the glass, sealing the hole and resealing the glass fixed the problem.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:08 PM
zaktrafton
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does water get in to the undreseat voids? I do not have this issue but i have seen a few threads over the years on this.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:18 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by zaktrafton
How does water get in to the undreseat voids? I do not have this issue but i have seen a few threads over the years on this.
The water backup from the sunroof drains will overflow the A-pillar lower area and come out there. You'll never see it come in until it's too late. This is usually because the drain tubes got shot with insulation and retracted into the body.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:54 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

yep. same with mine. I remove the seat, pulled back the carpets, sprinkled talcum powder on the floor pan...closed the door and garden hosed the vehicle....the water path could be seen in the talc; from the a-pillar back to the lowest point under the seat

Old 10-23-2017, 10:19 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Sunroof is nice............until it's not anymore

Most major cities have some form of mobile "water doctor" who can come out and fix your water leaks. They usually have better equipment than the dealer does.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:59 AM
etc22

After seeing this thread I realized that I also had this problem. I recently traded my '03 DD for a '13 Crew. I had heard the sound but hadn't quite identified it and thought maybe it was somehow connected to the rear seat AC/Heater (my Gen 1 DD had a "percolating" sound connected to the back seat AC/heat). Today I looked under the passenger side and pulled the grommet and sure enough over a gallon of water came pouring out. The driver side was dry.
What the F&^%? Where does this water come from? I have no sunroof so it's not draining down from there as some have suspected. And my real question is - why is there a grommet there to retain the water? Why would they not just have a drain hole? What would be the point of me putting the grommet back in letting the water build up again? Currently running "grommet-less".........

Search this Thread