2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine swap multiple questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 11:16 PM
a76xlch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question engine swap multiple questions

I am installing an engine from a 2003 dodge ram van 5.2 into a 1998 dodge ram 1500 sport, I have swapped out the motor mounts and I have the motor in place. When I went to hook up the injectors the connectors on the truck didnt match the ones from the van motor so I swapped out the truck injectors but i'm wondering if these have the same flow? I also have to use the power steering pump and bracket from the truck as the van power steering pump wont mount because it hits the steering, I'm also having to change the alternator because the wiring is different on that also. Does anyone see any issues with this? I'm also having trouble finding a connector that goes next to the distributor ( I think its the oil pressure switch? ) does anyone know where this is located? I am sorry if this sounds like a losing effort but I havent swapped a motor in over 30 years and that was a lot easier back then, I didn't want to scrap out the truck as I love it and would appreciate any help that I can get.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:26 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

I take it that the original motor in your Ram 1500 was a 5.2? If so, I'd use the intake manifold (and injectors+sensors) and possibly the exhaust manifold from your original motor, so that things fit properly. Same with accessories, such as power steering pump, A/C compressor, alternator, distributor and oil pressure sensor. Even within the run of '94 - '01 2nd gen trucks, things changed around a bit between some years. I ran into similar issues when I swapped a later model used 5.9 from a Dakota into my '96 Ram 2500.

While you are at it, install new freeze plugs (brass, if possible), water pump, timing chain and gears and fix the intake plenum gasket, so that you won't have to deal with them again later.