3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

42RLE Dakota transmission hard shifting

Old 10-23-2017, 01:25 AM
JJ3531
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42RLE Dakota transmission hard shifting

I thought I was having a unique issue and also thought this was from an accident where I was rear ended. After looking up this transmission a lot of Jeep owners have similar issues. My first question, as I’m not real familiar with transmissions, does the Dakota have the exact same transmission?

My truck shifts hard and down shifts hard, so hard sometimes it feels like someone hits me from behind. It doesn’t do it all the time, I get this strange middle toned hum around 40-45 mph and when I get that hum and I brake (regardless if I slow down fast or slow) my truck shifts so hard it lurches forward. Other times it shifts not as hard. I took it to a transmission shop, they pulled the codes and found nothing and even reset the transmission codes. They took it out and test drove it and no hard shifting, the reset didn’t work and now I have no clue if my transmission is going out, ECM issue, some kind of pressure thing for shifting. So any help or advice would be awesome.

Here’s the exact specs:
2007 Dodge Dakota SLT 4WD Crew Cab
4.7 L V8 (w flex fuel option)
Automatic Trans
97,000 miles (bought it used at 62,000 w one previous owner, no accidents)

3 months after I bought this truck I was in a 3 car crash, ever since then I have had problems slowly coming out. Since I was rear ended and not my fault as I was the second vehicle in line to be hit I got my truck professionally fixed at the dealership I had just bought it from. $3,500 in damage all to the back end. The shifting in my transmission started around six months after the accident. Very minor shifting that seemed a bit hard, then around 8-9 months is when I felt the first hard down shift. Now it does it around 1-2 times a week sometimes more. I can’t recreate it, it just happens and this makes it hard to diagnose.

I have no idea if it’s related or just a crappy transmission made by dodge. But I figure the more info people have the better to figure out what might be the issue.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:29 AM
JJ3531
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Note

I bought this truck 4 years ago. Forgot to mention that

Search this Thread